Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gamusren

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2021
I am using a M1 Mac mini 16GB/256GB with Sabrent Rocket XTRM 1TB external SSD as my main drive and copied my second working user to this drive. Everything works fine currently with all essential apps and system files writing to the main SSD. (Macintosh HD)

However, when I use iStat menu (downloaded from website so no known issues) to inspect memory usage, the swap memory displays 0kb out of 0kb. I am slightly worried if this is a normal occurrence for M1 Macs. (as I have heard of all the seemingly magic memory performance)
Usually on my old Intel Macs I would be seeing at least some capacity instead of 0kb (something like 349 MB of 2GB). Therefore I am not sure if my Mac can still use swap memory with this external drive at all. (I would be relieved even if it is swapping memories with main SSD)

Can anyone help? I would really appreciate it!!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 4.56.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 4.56.08 PM.png
    46.1 KB · Views: 302

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
It's ok if your Mac isn't using any swap. There is nothing to worry about.

Gamusren

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2021
It's ok if your Mac isn't using any swap. There is nothing to worry about.
Thank you, but I think I am worried about the fact that it displays 0bytes, even in the activity monitor.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
There are a multitude of numbers that could describe various parameters of a computer. It’s a waste of time to obsess over any of them. There is something about computers that make us do that, but do you monitor any of your other machines to the same degree of detail? For example, the RPM of your furnace fan? The output frequency of your car alternator?

Last edited:

Gamusren

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2021
Ok, seems like once the pressure hits 30% the swap is employed immediately for 1003MB. That's a good sign for using an external SSD.

Damian Brown

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2021
I am using a M1 Mac mini 16GB/256GB with Sabrent Rocket XTRM 1TB external SSD as my main drive and copied my second working user to this drive. Everything works fine currently with all essential apps and system files writing to the main SSD. (Macintosh HD)

However, when I use iStat menu (downloaded from website so no known issues) to inspect memory usage, the swap memory displays 0kb out of 0kb. I am slightly worried if this is a normal occurrence for M1 Macs. (as I have heard of all the seemingly magic memory performance)
Usually on my old Intel Macs I would be seeing at least some capacity instead of 0kb (something like 349 MB of 2GB). Therefore I am not sure if my Mac can still use swap memory with this external drive at all. (I would be relieved even if it is swapping memories with main SSD)

I'm really interested in buying this drive for my M1 Macbook Air. Have you done a speed test on yours?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

What does Activity Monitor say?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.