Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s4vo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2021
Netherlands
My touchbar stopped working properly so i searched how i could reset it to get it working. Then i found i had to run a command in system recovery mode. I had out in the command (xartutil --erase-all), then i read in terminal that it would delete some things, i didnt type in a response to the command. After this i closed the terminal and restarted my mac. And now it stays in bootloop. Does somebody know what happened and how i can solve this.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
xartutil --erase-all will wipe out all decryption keys on the Secure Enclave.
I wouldn't assume it would have done anything if you didn't give it a confirmation response but it probably would be wiser to say no explicitly instead of just closing it, in case it had started a transaction and was exited in an unfinished state.

Do you have/can you borrow/get a hold of another Mac? Then you can try putting it in Target Disk Mode to get files off of it, if the Secure Enclave still has decryption keys.

Otherwise all I can recommend is booting back into recovery and reinstalling the OS. If you're lucky the data volume is fine and the Secure Enclave can decrypt it, so only OS files will be reinstalled while your data remains intact, but I can't guarantee anything

Reactions: s4vo

s4vo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2021
Netherlands
xartutil --erase-all will wipe out all decryption keys on the Secure Enclave.
I wouldn't assume it would have done anything if you didn't give it a confirmation response but it probably would be wiser to say no explicitly instead of just closing it, in case it had started a transaction and was exited in an unfinished state.

Do you have/can you borrow/get a hold of another Mac? Then you can try putting it in Target Disk Mode to get files off of it, if the Secure Enclave still has decryption keys.

Otherwise all I can recommend is booting back into recovery and reinstalling the OS. If you're lucky the data volume is fine and the Secure Enclave can decrypt it, so only OS files will be reinstalled while your data remains intact, but I can't guarantee anything
I have a older 2018 MPB I5 so i'll try that. I also have really recent backup of the files. Thanks in advance.

s4vo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2021
Netherlands
I have a older 2018 MPB I5 so i'll try that. I also have really recent backup of the files. Thanks in advance.
All the files were still on the macbook when i put it in dfu mode but ill try to fix it this way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.