Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joe's kitchen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2021
Having read those positive comments all over the Internet, I've recently purchased a MacBook Air 13" (M1, 2020), with 8GB memory and JIS (Japanese) keyboard, without checking it at physical store.

I'm satisfied with the machine power and its beautiful design work, but I do have a big issue with the keyboard.

The keyboard touch (actuation force) is the most heavy feeling I've ever experienced. So far I've used dozens of laptop keyboards for decades, mostly Windows, but some were like MacBook Air 13" (2014), MacBook Pro 17" (2009) and I never had an issue about keyboard actuation force, and I liked a lot, those pre-2015 MacBook keyboards (I did not use butterfly keyboard MacBooks).

But as soon as unboxing the M1 MacBook Air, I started feeling uncomfortable and it makes me feel tiring to type. I'm not sure if "heavy" is the right word to describe. The keyboard just requires extra finger power to push the keys, more power than any other keyboards. I now think it's not for a daily use and I should have bought M1 Mac Mini instead.

But I see many positive reviews about the keyboard all over the net. Am I the only one who thinks M1 MacBook Air has the "heaviest" keyboard? I trust the Apple quality and I believe all the M1 MacBook Air keyboard should have the same actuation force level, but is there significant difference, depending on each machine? Unfortunately, there are no physical stores to see and check it near my place.

So I'd like to know how other M1 MacBook Air users are evaluating the keyboard actuation force.

Do you think your M1 MacBook Air keyboard is lighter, heavier (or same) comparing to... which machines?
And are you happy with the actuation force level?
If Apple can listen to your voice, then would you request them better keyboard actuation level?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
It‘s heavier than the butterfly keyboards, but the butterfly keyboards were crap. The M1 MacBook Air requires a pretty light keyboard force. Much lower than classic keyboards.

Joe's kitchen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2021
Thanks for the reply. I'm surprised to know you feel M1 is ligher than classic keyboards. Perhaps your Mac and mine have very different force level...?

(I'm sorry this post is in wrong place)

Last edited:

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
Hi there,

I have a 16" MBP with the Magic Keyboard and feels good and easy to type on. It has 1mm travel and I am able to type very fast and the response when you press the key is good as well.

I never liked the butterfly models(tried them in the stores and never brought them), those keyboards are not comfortable to type on at all for long periods.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Thanks for the reply. I'm surprised to know you feel M1 is ligher than classic keyboards. Perhaps your Mac and mine have very different force level...?

(I'm sorry this post is in wrong place)

Yeah, i mean it’s certainly reasonably “clicky” but definitely does not take a lot of force. It’s about the same as the external magic keyboards. Nowhere near as resistive as a traditional mechanical or full-travel keyboard.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
I am very suprised at your finding. I thought the subject was going to be the excact opposite. Mine feels looser and weaker compared to my old 2014 11" Macbook Air and external Apple BT keyboards. It is comfortable and not bad, it just flexes more and I would definately not characterize the feeling as heavy or harder to press. If you can, I would try going to a store and see if the feeling is the same on another machine.

edit: Just want to add, that it might be shorter keytravel, which tires you out. Now that I am focusing on it, I don't like that either. Newer tried butterfly keyboard, but think Apple's focus reducing keytravel was part of its failure. The same goes for touchpad, I also feel that it is not really moving and don't like that either. I like buttons, real buttons, and not a fan of touchkeyboard/-controls.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tenkaykev

Joe's kitchen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2021
Thanks everyone for the replies.

>I am very suprised at your finding. I thought the subject was going to be the excact opposite. Mine feels looser and weaker compared to my old 2014 11" Macbook Air and external Apple BT keyboards. It is comfortable and not bad, it just flexes more and I would definately not characterize the feeling as heavy or harder to press. If you can, I would try going to a store and see if the feeling is the same on another machine.

Unfortunately, I don't have easy access to a Mac selling store, so I would like to hear other user's reports.

It's very interesting that it's quite the opposite for me: My M1 MacBook Air 13"(2020) keyboard is extremely harder/heavier than MacBook Air 13" (2014). The 2014 model is still with me here and when I use them, the difference is extremely noticeable.

I have no idea, but perhaps Apple making some modifications to keyboards on different lots of production?

FYI, my keyboard is not US, but JIS (Japanese).

It seems my MacBook Air was assembled in March. Earlier production models might have lighter keyboard....? If so, it could be a problem, because it means what you see in store might not be what you get, in terms of keyboard quality.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Not sure my post will help, OP.

I tried two M1 MBAs at launch and liked the feel of the keyboard, more than the M1 MBP that I have now (there were other issues which resulted in my moving to the MBP.) The M1 MBP is the first Apple laptop I’ve used for any length of time though. The keyboard seems a little sturdier than the Airs (Deeper depression), but I am not feeling that typing fatigue.

That said, my favorite laptop keyboard was on the Asus G14 Zephyrus, that keyboard reminded me more of the wired Apple keyboards I miss so much. More toward a mechanical feel, but light enough to be very comfortable to type on.

OP, can you exchange the Air for a Mac Mini?

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Not sure my post will help, OP.

I tried two M1 MBAs at launch and liked the feel of the keyboard, more than the M1 MBP that I have now (there were other issues which resulted in my moving to the MBP.) The M1 MBP is the first Apple laptop I’ve used for any length of time though. The keyboard seems a little sturdier than the Airs (Deeper depression), but I am not feeling that typing fatigue.

That said, my favorite laptop keyboard was on the Asus G14 Zephyrus, that keyboard reminded me more of the wired Apple keyboards I miss so much. More toward a mechanical feel, but light enough to be very comfortable to type on.

OP, can you exchange the Air for a Mac Mini?

What issues led to you switching to the MBP?

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
High Memory pressure, system crashes and not very good with multitasking, that was a 16gb model too.
Weird. The only difference between the M1 Air and Pro SoCs with 16 GB RAM is that the Pro has a fan. Memory pressure is identical and multitasking differences are only going to be slightly less performance for the Air when under load for several minutes.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Weird. The only difference between the M1 Air and Pro SoCs with 16 GB RAM is that the Pro has a fan. Memory pressure is identical and multitasking differences are only going to be slightly less performance for the Air when under load for several minutes.
I know about the fan. I wasn’t pushing ridiculous loads either, light 1080p QuickTime video conversions and web surfing at the same time. And the conversions were never more than 5 minutes long.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Are you still with in the return period? I’d return it and see if it’s a defect or just something you’re not used to.

Joe's kitchen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2021
Unfortunately, I can't switch to M1 Mac mini though I would love to. I bought my M1 MacBook Air from a store in Japan. They don't regularly accept return once you unbox an item (unless it's clearly broken). So the business cultures are very different.

I'm beginning to think this: the latest produced lot of M1 MacBook Air has modified Magic Keyboard (in terms of actuation force), comparing to the previous lots of M1 MacBook Air....

I checked some Japanese comments on Internet and the most of them gives positive reviews, and I can't find any "heavy" or "hard" comments so far.

Last edited:

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Oh got it. That sucks. True so countries its hard to return products; like you said it has to be damage. I, and others here, buy some things to try out (like I did with my black 12 mini that I returned for a blue). It does sound weird. My MacBook 16 in has just enough resistance to it. Have you tried other MacBook keyboard?

Joe's kitchen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2021
M1 MacBook Air is the first Mac laptop for me since 2014 MacBook Air. I didn't use butterfly keyboard models because of the reputation.

I had no complains to those pre-2015 keyboards. But my M1 MacBook Air is the very first keyboard that I feel weird and uncomfortable for me, since I started using PC/Mac keyboards decades ago.

Perhaps "heavy" or "hard" is not appropriate to describe. What I feel is, each key's repulsion force is very strong. I am not sure this is the result of short travel of 1mm.

Does anyone have key pressure figures for Mac, including M1 MacBook Air (for example, 45g, 65g, etc)? If those numbers are available and open to users, then it would be useful when selecting which one to buy.

samyeegamgee

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2021
Would like to agree with you.

I've got the 2015 15" map and my wife has the 2018 13" mbp. It definitely feels heavier. I believe it wouldn't be really that difficult to find graphs that people have made on the keyboard for actuation force.

I'll update if I find any. I've got a few linear custom keyboards so I find it really tiring to use the internal m1 mba keyboard so I switch to them when I'm back home.

Read an article talking about bottoming out your keys and how it's actually going to lead to finger numbness and wrist pains if you're a heavy typist. Would recommend trying to type gently, almost as though you're pressing down on the switch to activate it instead of hammering down.

Really do believe it'll lead to a more comfortable experience being less heavy handed, almost to say that apple designed it as a light weight portable, hammering down doesn't really feel that light weight like when you're in a library or public place typing, you'll realise that the sound of the keys on the laptop chassis sounds a lot nicer when typing softly and gently. Not saying that it wouldn't be up to speed, it's just a means of getting used to it.

Here are some articles.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/atokhd

itsnamgyu

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2023
I have the M2 MacBook Air. I don't know about the total accusation force, but the keys definitely require more force at the "start" of the press, sorta like the static friction. It is noticeably more "hard" and rigid compared to my wireless Magic Keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.