Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

infernoguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
So I know there are a number of M1 external display mode flickering threads on the forums here but I've been trying to get mine figured out and when I switched to light mode and tested, the flickering went away. I have an app (the Comet Mac App) that when I click on a certain button (Inbox/Refresh Notifications) I get the flicker almost every time but I do not when I switched to light mode.

I also tried changing back to dark mode and choosing a non black wallpaper and was not able to replicate the flicker. Anyone else see this?

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I don’t generally use dark mode but I have an LG external 4K monitor. I’ll turn on dark mode for a while to see if I see this issue. I’m on Monterey though…

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
My M1 MBA is definitely worse when using dark mode. However, even if I'm using light mode, something like Chrome or Thunderbird, which use their own themes, and if they're dark mode, then I still get flickering. It's really weird, but I think it definitely has something to do with dark colors. (I'm on monterey also)

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I don’t generally use dark mode but I have an LG external 4K monitor. I’ll turn on dark mode for a while to see if I see this issue. I’m on Monterey though…
I used Dark Mode on my external 24” LG 4K display for a couple of days and didn’t notice any flicker. I really don’t like Dark Mode though so I switched back to normal.

infernoguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
Is your monitor VA or IPS, I have tried both and the IPS doesn't flicker

My LG is a VA monitor. Now things are making more sense.

Wonder if there’s a fix for VA monitors on M1 devices? HDR mode is one that seems to mitigate the flicker but any others?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.