Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparke

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 30, 2024
This laptop fell out of a car. Not really sure to what extent it was ran over, but it does have a large indent on the bottom side. With this being an M1 Late 2020 Macbook Pro, I cannot simply remove the drive to retrieve data. The logic board has a slight bend, particularly where the heat pipe is, as that is where the impact seemed to be made. Does anyone see any irregularities (aside from the obvious bend) that could help give me insight on the root issue? I do not see any definitive cracks or shattered components. Thanks.
image3.jpeg

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    334.9 KB · Views: 55
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    401.6 KB · Views: 58
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    521 KB · Views: 57
  • Wow
Reactions: kitKAC and jazz1

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
We do not need it to work for long, just long enough to get the data off of it.
Ah, the lesson of backups. Been there myself. I suspect you need to contact a data recovery service. If, the SSD is not damaged a good service may be able to recover the data. If the SSD is damaged you are probably out of luck. A data recovery service will not be cheap.

Reactions: 960design

sparke

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 30, 2024
Ah, the lesson of backups. Been there myself. I suspect you need to contact a data recovery service. If, the SSD is not damaged a good service may be able to recover the data. If the SSD is damaged you are probably out of luck. A data recovery service will not be cheap.
Indeed, backups are great. For the record, I'm trying to recover this for a friend. A data recovery service would have to repair the logic board to get the data out if I'm not mistaken... good for security but would cost a lot of $.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Yes. No boot & no sign of life. We do not need it to work for long, just long enough to get the data off of it.
First, I am sorry for your loss.

Hopefully you used the free (5GB) backup to iCloud for all files located within the documents folder! (x1)
-- Login into iCloud.com with your AppleID using any old computer, all of your data should be there.

And being a good steward of data you performed a local network backup every month or so (x2)
-- rsync -aEvz /path/to/source/ user@server:/path/to/destination/
-- rsync -aEvz ~/documents/ user@10.30.11.100:~/backup/

And going over the top you stored semi permanent files to a offsite cloud server (x3)

Last edited:

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Indeed, backups are great. For the record, I'm trying to recover this for a friend. A data recovery service would have to repair the logic board to get the data out if I'm not mistaken... good for security but would cost a lot of $.
Correct.

Apple said:
The Secure Enclave includes a unique ID (UID) root cryptographic key. The UID is unique to each individual device and isn’t related to any other identifier on the device.

A randomly generated UID is fused into the SoC at manufacturing time.
Apple said:
sepOS uses the UID to protect device-specific secrets. The UID allows data to be cryptographically tied to a particular device. For example, the key hierarchy protecting the file system includes the UID, so if the internal SSD storage is physically moved from one device to another, the files are inaccessible.

Apple said:

Internal storage with FileVault turned off​

If FileVault isn’t turned on in a Mac with Apple silicon or a Mac with the T2 chip during the initial Setup Assistant process, the volume is still encrypted but the volume encryption key is protected only by the hardware UID in the Secure Enclave.

The internal volume encryption process when FileVault is turned off in macOS.

Last edited:
Reactions: sparke
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.