Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonjames505

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
I'm in the market to replace my 2018 Macbook Air and have decided to go with the MacBook Pro to change up the form factor a bit.
I am only able to purchase through Amazon (collection of gift cards) so a trade in with Apple is not feasible.
Currently the M1 MacBook Pro (8gb/256gb) is priced at $1,149.
Amazon Renewed is offering the 2020 MacBook Pro (16gb/512gb) for $1,144.
The 2020 MacBook Pro appears to be a great deal AND I currently use a dual external monitor setup in my office, which the M1 could not replicate.

On the other side of the coin is the M1 processor, much longer battery life and supposedly better microphone.
I'm not sure if the Wifi 6 capability is necessary at this point.

Which would you guys choose?

1620144850712.png

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Intel: NO
M1: YES

The M1 MBP will run circles around Intel Macs.
Don't bother wasting money on an Intel Mac - I have a 16" MBP and it is awful - low battery life, heats up like a toaster, and fans run like crazy!
I have an M1 Mini and it's a dream!

Another actual case: My friend bought a highly optioned 2019 MBA and was disappointed with a laggy online game.
She switched to the base M1 MBA and it was unbelievable - night and day difference.

Reactions: ascender

hikikomori16

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2021
Both machines are great. My wife has the 2020 MBP, and I have the M1 with 16gb. I have to say that apps which are optimized for M1 are super fast. On my MBP, the Photoshop beta (M1 optimized) takes less than three seconds to launch, while the regular version running via Rosetta 2 takes less than six seconds (still fast). Office 365 opens up like it was already running.

I think moving forward, the M1 will have more apps written to take advantage of its capabilities. The only reason I'd recommend the Intel machine is if you absolutely need Boot Camp to run Windows. Even then, I've heard Parallels runs well on the M1.

biffuz

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2016
On the other hand, don't get an 8 GB machine. It's a tight fit for a desktop already, it's trashing the SSD, and in a few years it will be worse (assuming the SSD will still work).

Lerten

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2012
If possible -- I would get the 16gb version of M1 MacBook Pro (or M1 Air, for that matter). The only con would be -- in your case -- the dual monitor solution that you have.
M1 Macs are much quieter, cooler, faster, with substantially better performance and battery life. Plus, probably, will be supported longer. More modern WiFi and better microphones are just an icing on the cake.
At this point - I would definitely go with an M1 Mac.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Unless you absolutely need an Intel Mac to run some specific software, the answer is always M1 now.

Reactions: 4sallypat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.