Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dfavero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2023
I have two thunderbolt displays, which I really like. They use thunderbolt 2 and for the last 7 years, I have daisychained them in order to have three total monitors (2 thunderbolts and my macbook).

I was recently given a new MacBook Pro M1, and sadly the daisychain display trick no longer works. I’m currently chasing a solution, which uses display link software, embedded into a Kensington SD4900P, which the internet tells me is a viable hack to getting multiple displays to work with an M1 chip.

Problem I’m running into is the Thunderbolt 2 cord from the display doesn’t seem to convert with the minidisplay port to HDMI dongle/converter I purchased.

Any known solutions or advice?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I have two thunderbolt displays, which I really like. They use thunderbolt 2 and for the last 7 years, I have daisychained them in order to have three total monitors (2 thunderbolts and my macbook).

I was recently given a new MacBook Pro M1, and sadly the daisychain display trick no longer works. I’m currently chasing a solution, which uses display link software, embedded into a Kensington SD4900P, which the internet tells me is a viable hack to getting multiple displays to work with an M1 chip.

Problem I’m running into is the Thunderbolt 2 cord from the display doesn’t seem to convert with the minidisplay port to HDMI dongle/converter I purchased.

Any known solutions or advice?
DisplayLink relies on USB, not Thunderbolt, so you won’t be able to use 2 Thunderbolt displays on the M1 MacBook Pro.

Reactions: dfavero

livmatus

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2020
Thunderbolt display only works over Thunderbolt I am afraid.

So with base M1 / M2 chip you're only able to run 1 Thunderbolt Display no matter what.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Daisy chain should work just fine; but what you’d need is a system that can support two Thunderbolt displays. M1 can’t, and as others mentioned there are no aftermarket adapters for Thunderbolt over USB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.