Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raven999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2022
Unfortunately, my office suffered a power surge recently and I lost some equipment; modem, dongles, switcher, etc.

However, my M1 Macbook Pro survived. It works fine except it has issues with anything to do with audio and video, that is, I can't play any audio or video.

For example, I can't play a quicktime, mp3 file, or even watch a YouTube video. There's no sound and the videos won't play.

I also can't open any software that is audio/video related, e.g., Premiere Pro, After Effects, etc. But I can open up other software, like Microsoft Word.

Clicking around in the Sound panel in system preferences can be somewhat unresponsive too.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
If the power surge indeed fried other equipment connected to the device, it probably damaged the computer as well.

Given that the device is new, I suggest taking it in to have it checked out. Best case scenario is that all it needs is a reinstall of the system software. Worst case scenario is that some integrated components were fried and requires a motherboard replacement.

Now you know why surge protectors are so important. What caused the power surge?

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
sounds like something to do with audio has fried.
I thought all office environments would have their kit protected by surge protectors. They're cheaper than new kit.

Raven999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2022
If the power surge indeed fried other equipment connected to the device, it probably damaged the computer as well.

Given that the device is new, I suggest taking it in to have it checked out. Best case scenario is that all it needs is a reinstall of the system software. Worst case scenario is that some integrated components were fried and requires a motherboard replacement.

Now you know why surge protectors are so important. What caused the power surge?
Lightning strike.

I know. I did have it plugged into a consumer powerboard with surge protection. But apparently not good enough; need to invest in a UPS surge protector.

But you know what's funny, I feel as if the surge didn't come through the GPO, I think it could have come through the ethernet cable. All the equipment that fried, was connected to ethernet and they were plugged into different GPOs. And every other device, such as monitors that don't have an ethernet connection were fine.

If that was the case, how do you protect against a power surge via ethernet?

• Sad
Reactions: MajorFubar

Raven999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2022
Have you used Apple Diagnostics yet?

Yep. No issues found.

Does that mean the hardware is fine and it's a software issue?

I seem to remember I had a similar problem (audio/video not playing) in the past on a past MacBook pro and a simple restart fixed it.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Yep. No issues found.

Does that mean the hardware is fine and it's a software issue?
Not necessarily.

Perhaps a reinstallation is you next step. Won't hurt anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.