Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryansebiz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008

Apple's M1 Pro, M1 Max SoCs Investigated: New Performance and Efficiency Heights​

A lot of people in the HPC audience were extremely intrigued to see a chip with such massive bandwidth – not because they care about GPU or other offload engines of the SoC, but because the possibility of the CPUs being able to have access to such immense bandwidth, something that otherwise is only possible to achieve on larger server-class CPUs that cost a multitude of what the new MacBook Pros are sold at. It was also one of the first things I tested out – to see exactly just how much bandwidth the CPU cores have access to.

Unfortunately, the news here isn’t the best case-scenario that we hoped for, as the M1 Max isn’t able to fully saturate the SoC bandwidth from just the CPU side...

A fourth thread lands us at 224GB/s and this appears to be the limit on the SoC fabric that the CPUs are able to achieve, as adding additional cores and threads beyond this point does not increase the bandwidth to DRAM at all. It’s only when the E-cores, which are in their own cluster, are added in, when the bandwidth is able to jump up again, to a maximum of 243GB/s.

While 243GB/s is massive, and overshadows any other design in the industry, it’s still quite far from the 409GB/s the chip is capable of. More importantly for the M1 Max, it’s only slightly higher than the 204GB/s limit of the M1 Pro, so from a CPU-only workload perspective, it doesn’t appear to make sense to get the Max if one is focused just on CPU bandwidth.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/17024/apple-m1-max-performance-review/2

The M1 Max only gets 39GB/s more memory bandwidth from the CPU side than the M1 Pro? That's really disappointing.

Reactions: ls1dreams

ls1dreams

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2009
This is what I was watching for and others in /r/hardware also advised that 200GB/s would be plenty.

I honestly probably didn't need to go with the Max and figured this wouldn't make a big difference, but for $180 upgrade it got me some better graphics, a bigger cache, and if I ever dabble with Prores (though unlikely) it'll have a lot more oomph.

What sort of put me over the line was that I realized for $2800 vs $3000 or whatever, I'd be able to actually play a few games on this super expensive machine vs. the M1 Pro chip. The 24 core gpu seems to bump a numer of games closer to 60fps than the 16 core model.

Also since the APU is sort of the amazing part about this Apple silicon I thought it might be fun to get that upgrade for once. (though not the full 32 cores)

Last edited:

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
As stated, it would be implied to be double: "it’s still quite far from the 409GB/s the chip is capable of. More importantly for the M1 Max, it’s only slightly higher than the 204GB/s limit of the M1 Pro,"
As they said, "...from a CPU-only workload perspective, it doesn’t appear to make sense to get the Max if one is focused just on CPU bandwidth."

bartzumbari

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2009
How will this affect what you want to do? What kinds of tasks benefit from having enough bandwidth to read the entire contents of RAM on a 32GB into the CPU more than 8 times per second?
The M1 Max only gets 39GB/s more memory bandwidth from the CPU side than the M1 Pro? That's really disappointing.
When the GPU and CPU are working at the same time, this would be beneficial (the same benefit one gets from a discrete GPU having its own dedicated memory bandwidth, but without the downside of that memory being electrically distant.)

The $200 extra for 20% more top-end CPU bandwidth plus some more GPU performance doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
Yeah 087751AA-C0A6-4695-AEFF-C55B18CB0B69.jpeg

bartzumbari

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2009
As they said, "...from a CPU-only workload perspective, it doesn’t appear to make sense to get the Max if one is focused just on CPU bandwidth."
I wonder what a CPU-only workload looks like. Are there compute intensive applications that really only use the CPU that would even justify the M1 Pro, never mind the M1 Max? I'm thinking the plain old M1 is going to be fine for anything not really pushing the limits--in fact it's better because it's more efficient. For content creation or engineering and science, you're going to be using the GPU and/or neural engine as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.