Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

k1im

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2020
Finally received my M1 MBP and was very happy about it until I came across the thread about the uniformity of the screen. I ran a Backlight Bleed Test (www.lightbleedtest.com) even though found these conditions quite unnatural to be in a complete darkness sitting with a full brightness. And the result were quite disappointing as I found a few bleeds on the top of the screen, and then I tried to look closer and noticed that there was a light coming out of the left and right rubber edges. Regarding the reddish tint - it is the coating of the screen.

I realize that probably I could live with light coming from the bezels as it is completely unnoticeable unless I'm in a completely darkroom with a full brightness on my screen but didn't expect to find any other defects.

Has anyone experienced the same/ similar issues? Keep or return?

Attachments

• M1 MBP backlight leaks.jpg
    M1 MBP backlight leaks.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 3,588
  • M1 MBP Edges.jpg
    M1 MBP Edges.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 812
Last edited:

Cariffo

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2020
I just did the test on my MBP M1 and I see no issues. I would definitely return the machine.
These kinds of issues are acceptable on cheaper machines, but you are paying a premium with M1 and should receive an adequate quality. Thats just my opinion tho.
I have returned a Thinkpad I wanted instead of my MBP because of just a little coil whine. Not noticeable but once I knew it was there I just couldn't go back.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
If that was my M1 and I couldn't see that without being in total darkness with 100% brightness, thus unable to use the M1 in such a setting, I wouldn't return it. If it showed during normal use, it would be a definite return.

If you go looking for problems that can't normally be seen in day to day usage, you will probably find some. That is what some here spend their time doing.

Illuminated

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2008
Denver
Mine looks fine. I did notice a little light bleed on the right edge, but I can live with it. Not like I ever use my MBP in pitch black/full brightness.

Reactions: AAPLGeek

k1im

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2020
Just ran the test on my 2015 rMBP and the screen looks perfect, no bleeds, no light leaking from the edges

Attachments

• 2015 MBP.jpg
    2015 MBP.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 505
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.