Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phorust

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2018
My M1 Macbook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020) seems to shut off while sleeping somewhat often, requiring a power cycle / hard reset in order to turn back on. It seems to happen often when it's plugged in charging for a long time, like overnight, and I'll open it to wake from sleep only to get black screen and unresponsive keyboard / touchID. It feels like a problem that's only started occurring recently, so I think it might have to do with the introduction of hibernation support in BigSur 11.3 but not sure. Normally I'd expect there to be a kernel panic report as well upon booting up but there's never one.

How do I go about troubleshooting this (finding shutdown cause, finding type of startup i.e. wake from sleep, wake from hiberation, cold boot, finding relevant logs), and whats the likelihood that Apple's 1 year manufacturer warranty would cover this?

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
My M1 Macbook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020) seems to shut off while sleeping somewhat often, requiring a power cycle / hard reset in order to turn back on. It seems to happen often when it's plugged in charging for a long time, like overnight, and I'll open it to wake from sleep only to get black screen and unresponsive keyboard / touchID. It feels like a problem that's only started occurring recently, so I think it might have to do with the introduction of hibernation support in BigSur 11.3 but not sure. Normally I'd expect there to be a kernel panic report as well upon booting up but there's never one.

How do I go about troubleshooting this (finding shutdown cause, finding type of startup i.e. wake from sleep, wake from hiberation, cold boot, finding relevant logs), and whats the likelihood that Apple's 1 year manufacturer warranty would cover this?
If you are still running 11.3 then the obvious first step is to update your OS to the latest version.

Edit: Sorry, I misread your post. I haven't heard of any problems with hibernate but it is easy enough to turn off.
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

I'm having a problem right now with Monterey that is similar. Sometimes when shutting down I get a freeze that requires a 10 second touchId press to force restart. Once I had a black screen with the spinning wheel of death that also required a 10 second touchId. But this is with Beta software so problems like this aren't unexpected.

Last edited:

phorust

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2018
Just had it happen again today, so I'll try sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0.
EDIT 08/30 had it happen again.

saving the current output of sudo pmset -g here:
System-wide power settings: Currently in use: hibernatemode 3 disksleep 10 sleep 1 (sleep prevented by powerd, sharingd) Sleep On Power Button 1 ttyskeepawake 1 hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage displaysleep 2

Last edited:

phorust

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2018
Caught my mac restarting itself and got the following kernel panic: Sleep transition timed out after 35 seconds while creating hibernation file or while calling rootDomain's clients about upcoming rootDomain's state changes.. Can't find the rest of the kernel panic in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports or ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports. Just updated to 11.5.2, hopefully I don't have any more problems, otherwise, going to complain at the Apple Store - would this kind of thing be covered on manufacturer warranty?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.