Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arpd1971

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2022
Manchester, UK
Does anyone have any idea how much Parallels adds to the memory pressure on an M1 mini (8/256).

I won't be running much else in Monterey at the same time, and Win11 will only have one app running, probably Edge with an interactive page.

Realise uses, cases can vary a lot, but any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks!

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Download the free trial and check it out. All depends on your use case and other variables so not really a one size fits all thing.

arpd1971

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2022
Manchester, UK
I feared that might be the case.

I can only access the website i need for work when the contract starts so i will have to try it all then and make a quick decision!

apostolosdt

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
I'm afraid 8GB memory won't do much. On Monterey, I guess you should install Parallels 16 or 17. Either won't drain memory and the VM can run from an external disk. But Windows 11 will need more than the minimum 2GB of memory, and not because it will run as a VM. I have Parallels 17 on a 16GB MBP and Windows 10 shows its limitations as a VM.

I guess M1 Mini can meet the Windows 11 demanding specs---I can't tell on that issue.

Reactions: arpd1971

arpd1971

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2022
Manchester, UK
Suck it and see, I guess!

If it doesn't work, I have a Windows laptop that can hook to an external monitor - i only need it for one contract a year for about 2 weeks, so I'll make do.... That software is due to be updated anytime, anyway, so this might all be moot soon.

Thanks for input!

arpd1971

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2022
Manchester, UK
I used to routinely run Windows 10 in Parallels on an 8GB machine without problems. I assigned 2GB to Windows, which seems low but works fine for office tasks.
Thanks. I think it must be worth a try… I literally need to run a browser and nothing else…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.