Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FactorialN

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2020
Many media and users reported much worse battery life on M1 Max model, and according to powermetrics results, it's very possible that RAM power caused this difference (GPU are consuming very similar power on low usage).
My question is, is this difference mainly caused by M1 Max's Quad Channel memory system, or it's caused by 64G RAM itself?

Delarock

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2016
I think it depends on type of task are you doing. If doing light work consumption will be the same, if playing games, video rendering etc of course there will be bigger consumption on M1 max but more power ( shorter rendering times, more FPS games etc)

FactorialN

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2020
I think it depends on type of task are you doing. If doing light work consumption will be the same, if playing games, video rendering etc of course there will be bigger consumption on M1 max but more power ( shorter rendering times, more FPS games etc)
These are all GPU heavy tasks, and they would definitely consume more power on M1 Max with more GPU cores.
But we're also seeing a great power consumption difference for idle and low usage, and powermetrics recorded that these difference comes from DRAM. 64G M1 Max have much more RAM power consumption than 16G M1 Pro.

My question is that is this difference mainly caused by M1 Max's faster, quad channel RAM or simply because M1 Max have much more memory to refresh.

This would help me choose between M1 Pro 32G and M1 Max 32G.

Delarock

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2016
Now i understand. I ordered 14 Max 32 core 64 gb ram but really dont care much about battery life because 70 percent of time it will be connected to thunderbolt monitors with al dente pro app. But understand your worries if working often unplugged.

Reactions: FactorialN
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.