Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I suspect that something is running when the laptop is sleeping and getting the laptop warm. I've turned off Siri and a few other things to see if that fixes the problem. It's possible that it's related to charging but I don't see how. I have heard of people with this issue in other versions of macOS so I'm wondering if there is some background job that runs when the laptop is asleep.

Macs Fan Control also indicates the higher temperature that I'm feeling on the case.

Checking Activity Monitor when I open the lid shows nothing of course.

This is a problem where I'd be willing to go back to Sonoma on.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I went into settings and just turned off a bunch of stuff and CPU temps dropped about five degrees over time. So I suspect that I had turned off a bunch of background settings in the past and they got turned back to on after the update. Many of them I'd never seen before but my system seems to be running as it did before. I'll do another test with the lid closed and the MacBook Pro plugged in and check the temps afterwards.

So strictly a bug - maybe just more settings with defaults that use up power.

DonutHands

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Los Angeles
2019 Intel MBP here, but noticed that the fans turn on periodically while the laptop is sleeping now. Never happened before Sequoia.

Quite annoying as I am now shutting it down now before going to bed.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I just woke up, checked the laptop and it was cold, so turning off every background process I could find seems to be working. I'm going to turn all of that stuff off on the desktops too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.