Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GPete

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2021
Alright tech family, I’m requesting some help. I’m looking to upgrade an old MacBook Air to one of the new M1 Pro/Max. However, with all of the different configurations, I’m needing your help finding an appropriate and realistic configuration for my needs. (I’ve been out of the country for a while without researching or using this kind of Apple tech for some time, so I’m in need of refreshment of what specs work best for content).

I work primarily with 30MP RAW photos and C4K footage, and of course a bit of graphics are included with those as well. Large amounts of these photos and even a semi-complicated video timeline has caused our previous machines to run slow and crank up the fan speeds (we have a mid-2015 27” i7 iMac w/ 32GB of RAM, and I previously had a 2018 15” MBP w/ a higher intel chip and [16] GB of RAM).

Looking towards the future of a potential upgrade to 5.2k or higher resolution [RAW] video and 45MP RAW photos, I am scouting the new MBPros for the best option for the next handful of years. I’m currently looking at the M1 Max w/ the 24 core GPU, 32GB of RAM, and 2TB of internal storage. Especially for those of you who work with similar content and potentially already have these new machines, what might be the best configuration for such needs out of all of the possibilities? Am I okay with the M1 Pro and 16GB of RAM? (I’ll also be in school for the next couple of years, so I’m leaning towards the 14” for the portability aspect).

Thanks much!

Reactions: Botts85
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.