Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kToni73

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2021
Germany
Hello everyone,

I've spent a fair amount of time on this Forum, reading posts about Monitors and the M1 chip. As you see by the Topic, this is for an M1 MacBook Pro. I have recently ordered a Dell S3221QS (32" 4k) Monitor, but due to the screen flickering problems it had to be returned.

I have tried to connect it HDMI > HDMI to my Thunderbolt Dock (Anker 7-in-1). DP > USB-C. HDMI > USB-C. Everything failed to work. Even tried editing my windowserver files.

I really need a Monitor for my productivity~ And seeing how awesome that Dell Monitor was (problems aside), it has to be an 32" 4k. So I was wondering is there something that you have been using? Something that worked great for you. And I am not looking for anything Ultrasharp, just something decent. 500-600$ range.

That being said, I saw some Monitors that are on sale right now. Like LG 32UN650 or BenQ EW3280U. But I always find some posts on here of people having issues with such models, and I'm afraid to get it ... because I don't feel like returning another Monitor.

Anyway, let me know if there is something that has worked for you. I really appreciate it!

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
I've been struggling with this a bit too. I ended up picking up two of these yesterday.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...-4k-uhd-monitor-black/6437811.p?skuId=6437811 (not an affliliate link)

It's definitely not a 'pro' display, but for $329 it's not bad at all, so I got two of them. :) I haven't decided if I'm going to keep them but for my uses (general purpose computing and MS Office) they seem to be fine. Colors are good, the display seems crisp (if not especially contrasty) and it does support USB-C. The speakers won't do, but I won't be using them.

My main issue with it is that it doesn't hold up against the stunning mini-LED display on the MacBook. It looks really nice with the Mac is in clamshell mode, but when I have the MacBook open and you can see the displays side-by-side the Samsung pales in comparison. I suspect that will be the case with many non-Pro displays.

Still - two of them for $660 was hard to pass up. Unless you need them for color accurate graphics/video work, or high-refresh / high framerate gaming, I think they offer a good value. Two x 4K displays is amazing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.