Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBilly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2023
As per title, I wonder if anyone knows if it possible to connect as a primary standalone monitor to the M2 Mac mini a portable Zendesk monitor that connects with usb-c?

It’s my understanding that to do this I will need a dummy hdmi plug so that the Mac mini thinks it’s already connected to a primary monitor, or will it be able to see the Zendesk as a primary monitor, without the dummy?

And if I DO need a dummy, will it then instantly see the Zendesk as a secondary or will I have have to add login code so that the mini can connect to the Zendesk every time I turn it on, sort of backstage, without my being able to see what’s happening, if you know what I mean?

Many thanks for any and all answers!!

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
As per title, I wonder if anyone knows if it possible to connect as a primary standalone monitor to the M2 Mac mini a portable Zendesk monitor that connects with usb-c?

It’s my understanding that to do this I will need a dummy hdmi plug so that the Mac mini thinks it’s already connected to a primary monitor, or will it be able to see the Zendesk as a primary monitor, without the dummy?

And if I DO need a dummy, will it then instantly see the Zendesk as a secondary or will I have have to add login code so that the mini can connect to the Zendesk every time I turn it on, sort of backstage, without my being able to see what’s happening, if you know what I mean?

Many thanks for any and all answers!!

I presume you mean ZenScreen portable monitor as opposed to a ZenDesk as ZenDesk is a peice of support software.

Providing that connected via the USB-C and actually powered on then would be seen as the Primary Monitor.

Not sure where getting you need to enter a code to connect your monitor to a mini for either, or why would need a HDMI dummy such as Fit4K.

You only need a headless HDMI if no actual monitor connected as otherwise the GPU acceleration turns off. Or at least it used too, I got rid of my headless mini as no longer had use for it.

If the Monitor is powered on whilst the Mini is powered on then no issue. Only be an issue if you want to leave the Mini powered on without the monitor powered on and connected and remote into the machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.