Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FangRock

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
UK
My MacBook Air M2 has developed a mushy key. The 'L' key. Sometimes when I'm typing, the L doesn't show up because it needs slightly more pressure to register.

I think a crumb of monster munch (roast beef) may be in there.

I have no AppleCare, but it's within warrantee. The problem is a trip to the apple store is a days work.

How easy is it to pop the L off and give it a clean?

IMG_1121.jpeg

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
Get a can of compressed air and blow it into and under the keys. I keep a can handy and routinely blow out my keys to keep them clean and working freely.

Reactions: FangRock

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Get a can of compressed air and blow it into and under the keys. I keep a can handy and routinely blow out my keys to keep them clean and working freely.
I also tip the laptop upside down and gently, tap it. Its like a baby, where violent shakes are a no-no, but I think you can dislodge stuff without damaging it.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
I also tip the laptop upside down and gently, tap it. Its like a baby, where violent shakes are a no-no, but I think you can dislodge stuff without damaging it.

This has worked for me a few times over the years. Doing it repeatedly can break up the crumb has worked a few times.

Reactions: FangRock

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
I do the same thing. Upside down, on the side, keep at it until the key moves differently. As long as it's just a crumb or something solid you can move it and I've done it several times on different machines- if it's something sticky, probably not.

lentils

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2024
+1. I was skeptical, but it worked! Thank you thank you. I don't know where the crumb, or dog hair, or whatever is now, but it's not under the key anymore.
BTW I can't vouch for the 'L' key, but it definitely works for the 'Z'. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.