Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quickq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2024
Hi,

I'm looking to get a new Mac and am having some trouble with specs; for context I am coming from a late 2015 MacBook Air (questionable functionality) so anything at this point is a major upgrade. I know this machine is definitely overpowered for what I require but I am looking at it because I'm going to be living in a place with much higher tech costs and a higher cost of living so I'm unlikely to be able to get a new computer for a long time after this. I want to get something portable that will last ideally 8-10 years with minimal maintenance (I know I'll have to do a battery and possibly keyboard replacement)

It will be used for surfing the internet mostly but in addition:
-mild photo/video editing (hobby not profession)
-possibly some music production here and there
-some games occasionally; (LoL, the sims 4, Minecraft, & I will likely have a windows emulator for a few 32 bit games)

I have 2 main questions:
Can you run games off of an external hard drive or should I upgrade to a 2TB SSD?
Do the specs of this machine with current trends, look like they will last long time? (my MacBook Air has not been able to run any games without issues it for about 3 years and gets way too hot just scrolling the internet and watching videos, I would like to avoid this again)

Thank you!

PS it'll be the 36 GB ram unless I'm highly advised otherwise.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I will likely have a windows emulator for a few 32 bit games
There is "emulation" and there is "virtualization". You won't be able to run Windows 32-bit programs on Apple Silicon in emulation. Even if you could find an x86 emulator on which you could install Windows, performance would be super crappy under emulation.

Apple Silicon (ARM) is a different CPU architecture from Intel (x86). Solutions like Parallels, VMWare Fusion, Virtual Box, etc is virtualization. These solutions run the Windows ARM version in virtual machines. While the Windows ARM does provide an x86 emulation layer, x86 Windows software is hit or miss on whether it runs well or at all in the ARM version of Windows, especially games which tend to access low level hardware features.

I guess the take away is... don't count on it.

Reactions: Basic75 and quickq

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
Can you run games off of an external hard drive or should I upgrade to a 2TB SSD?
Even if one can do that, do you want to haul around an external SSD just for applications? I'd rather have external storage for Time Machine if I was going to drag something around.

Do the specs of this machine with current trends, look like they will last long time?

Who knows? Life could change significantly in 5 years. The future is hard to predict.

okkibs

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2022
Seems like you could get away with a M3 base model. I wouldn't get a M3 Max just for extra lifespan. An M3 Pro model seems a more appropriate middle ground, with extra memory if you really want it. For your apps it will last just as long and the Max SoC won't fix inherent Macbook issues. For example you won't replace the keyboard because it requires the entire topcase (the housing) to be replaced as well and at that point the cost is too high to do that for a broken key or two. And even high-end Macs can fail unexpectedly. I recommend saving a bit by going for a slightly lower spec config and putting that money towards repair or replacement costs later on.

You could get Apple Care+ as it is valid internationally and can be extended after 3 years on a yearly basis for a total of 5 or 6 years. As long as you buy it in the States Apple will try and find a way to make repairs work somehow even if you are in a country without Apple Stores or any Apple presence.

In any case, even if a new Mac will be much more expensive in the future it's still worth it as they last for a long time. Since you can afford a M3 Max model right now I doubt finding an affordable Macbook will be that much of an issue later. You could combine the purchase with travelling.

Games will only run if they are supported at all and few games are. You can install Steam and run some games natively which I found works best. But again, not many games are supported and YMMV with workarounds and emulation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.