Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carizma22

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2005
Houston, TX
I have a Titanium Power PC 867Mhz that was stolen in 2010. I got it back a year later and it had Yosemite installed. I can't remember what I had on it before but it was a much earlier OS. I have a lot of problems now and from what I am reading on this forum, I am beginning to understand that it may be because of the OS

While i can use apps like Word 2010 and even Adobe 9 Professional, I can't connect to the Internet although the wifi networks appear. Is this related to the OS?

The battery doesn't charge even though it comes up as being in good condition. Could this be OS related too? I tried to find somewhere to buy a replacement battery, but haven't been successful.

Thanks for having this forum. Only just found it.

Last edited:

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I have a Titanium Power PC 867Mhz that was stolen in 2010. I got it back a year later and it had Yosemite installed.

Imma stop you right there. Yosemite only runs on Intel MacBooks, not PPC PowerBooks. What OS have you got installed? Because it sure as hell ain't Yosemite.

Word 2010 is Windows only. That also won't run on a PB 867MHz, not even under Virtual PC. The PB won't have the grunt to get that running acceptably.

Last edited:

miksat

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2018
Republic of Serbia
I have a Titanium Power PC 867Mhz that was stolen in 2010. I got it back a year later and it had Yosemite installed. I can't remember what I had on it before but it was a much earlier OS. I have a lot of problems now and from what I am reading on this forum, I am beginning to understand that it may be because of the OS

While i can use apps like Word 2010 and even Adobe 9 Professional, I can't connect to the Internet although the wifi networks appear. Is this related to the OS?

The battery doesn't charge even though it comes up as being in good condition. Could this be OS related too? I tried to find somewhere to buy a replacement battery, but haven't been successful.

Thanks for having this forum. Only just found it.

First off, you have a PowerPC machine which isn't capable of running past Leopard. Second, if it was stolen in 2010 and you received it back in 2011, it couldn't have been running Yosemite since that came out in 2014. Third, why the hell are you telling us about this now, instead of back in 2011.

Also can you please send a pic, I'd love to see a TiBook running 10.10

Reactions: z970

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Maybe the thief hackintosh'd it?

Don't ask me what, but something about the Titanium PowerBooks must be very alluring to thieves. A family member's 400mhz model was stolen in 2007, but we never got it back.

Wonder what he did with it...

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Maybe the thief hackintosh'd it?

Don't ask me what, but something about the Titanium PowerBooks must be very alluring to thieves. A family member's 400mhz model was stolen in 2007, but we never got it back.

Wonder what he did with it...
I think probably, at a glance, it bears a similarity to the unibody MBPs. The black keyboard and all. Thieves with no knowledge about the difference wouldn't know that.
[doublepost=1536957838][/doublepost]
I have a Titanium Power PC 867Mhz that was stolen in 2010. I got it back a year later and it had Yosemite installed.
Just for your edification…

OS X 10.10 Yosemite Minimum Requirements
MacBook Air (late 2008 or later)
MacBook (late 2008 aluminum or later)
MacBook Pro (mid-2007 or later)
iMac (mid-2007 or later)
Mac mini (early 2009 or later)
Mac Pro (early 2008 or later)
Xserve (early 2009)
2 GB RAM minimum (we recommend a minimum of 4 GB of RAM)
8 GB of drive space minimum. For basic installation, with only the default apps plus one or two of your own favorites, then 16 GB is a practical minimum. If you want to test Yosemite with a full complement of apps, then additional storage space will be needed, we recommend at least 40 GB to 100 GB of available space for a clean install of Yosemite. The extra space should allow you to either install the apps you need or use the OS X Migration tool to bring them over from a previous version of OS X.​

PS. The max ram the TiBook can support is 1GB. If you truly have a PowerBook it doesn't even meet Yosemite's RAM requirement.

Last edited:

carizma22

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2005
Houston, TX
Oops Misinformation, sorry. Running 10.5.4 (Leopard) and Word 2008. I just remember thinking when I got it back that the OS had been updated to whatever I was running on my replacement Mac at that time and I had not known it could be updated to that OS.

So same query, could the problem with the wifi connection be OS relate? And the battery issues?

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Hah, so it's like the guy took your PowerBook, upgraded it, then gave it back.

Reminds me of this video.

Ha ha.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I've spent more time running Office 2008 on Leopard than I care to count. It works.

If in fact it's running 10.5.4, you need to update it to the newest version-10.5.8.

Most secured WiFi networks these days use WPA2 encryption, and WiFi card in your TiBook can't connect to WPA2 networks. It is limited to WPA/TKIP and WEP. I suggest removing the built in Airport(WiFi) card and getting a Cardbus "Airport Extreme Compatible" card. This will plug into the CardBus slot on the left hand side of your computer, and will let you connect-in Tiger and Leopard-to any modern WiFi network. They run ~$10 on Ebay.

carizma22

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2005
Houston, TX
I've spent more time running Office 2008 on Leopard than I care to count. It works.

If in fact it's running 10.5.4, you need to update it to the newest version-10.5.8.

Most secured WiFi networks these days use WPA2 encryption, and WiFi card in your TiBook can't connect to WPA2 networks. It is limited to WPA/TKIP and WEP. I suggest removing the built in Airport(WiFi) card and getting a Cardbus "Airport Extreme Compatible" card. This will plug into the CardBus slot on the left hand side of your computer, and will let you connect-in Tiger and Leopard-to any modern WiFi network. They run ~$10 on Ebay.

It's 10.5.8, so I am as updated as I can get, which is good because without a network connection I can' really do anything. I have no idea how to do what you are suggesting with respect to removing the airport extreme card. I would need some help by a knowledgable person. Not sure how to go about finding one. I can ask around friends who are Mac aficionados. I have an airport extreme modem that I am not using. Could I connect the laptop to that, and then to the wifi network?

Do you know where I can get a new battery. Every time I unplug my computer, it shuts down. So I can't move it from place to place. Every time I start it up again, I have lost the date. Today it is 12.31/1969!

Thanks for your help.

miksat

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2018
Republic of Serbia
Do you know where I can get a new battery. Every time I unplug my computer, it shuts down. So I can't move it from place to place. Every time I start it up again, I have lost the date. Today it is 12.31/1969!

Oh, it looks like not only the regular battery has died but also the internal clock battery which you would need to open the entire computer to replace

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

Another option is an OS X compatible USB dongle.

It's 10.5.8, so I am as updated as I can get, which is good because without a network connection I can' really do anything. I have no idea how to do what you are suggesting with respect to removing the airport extreme card. I would need some help by a knowledgable person. Not sure how to go about finding one. I can ask around friends who are Mac aficionados. I have an airport extreme modem that I am not using. Could I connect the laptop to that, and then to the wifi network?

Thanks for your help.

Bear in mind that this is an older machine, and it is not going to be as capable on the web as a newer Mac. eBay is a good place to find batteries for older computers, but at this point you are going to be stuck with an aftermarket one of questionable quality. I highly recommend reading reviews prior to purchasing.

Correct dates are overrated!

:)

Reactions: z970

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
What happens when you try to launch Word/Office?

As I said, I have used these programs a LOT in Tiger and Leopard and they work. Are you sure you've set the date correctly before launching?

Raging Dufus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
Kansas USA
Correct dates are overrated!

Well, no, not really. Newer versions of the Mac OS are more tolerant of date/time discrepancies, but Tiger/Leopard/whatever on your old PowerBook is going to need at least some approximation of a correct date. If you weren't going to connect the PowerBook to the Internet, this wouldn't be a problem; but some apps that run in the background with connections to online services can't tolerate large discrepancies between the date/time on your machine and the date/time on their servers without producing corrupted data. This will accumulate over time and begin to affect the way your system runs, eventually resulting in instability.

You may be able to revive the PRAM battery it if it's not completely dead. Try leaving it plugged into AC, with the main battery removed, and the machine turned off, for a day or two. At least 24 hours. Then see if it will retain the date/time settings after you've removed it from power, plugged it back in and booted it up.

Even if you can't revive it, I wouldn't bother opening up the PowerBook just to change that battery - unless you're comfortable doing that, in which case go ahead. But this model of PowerBook can run indefinitely with a bad PRAM battery, as long as you keep the date/time updated as mentioned above.

Another thing that might help, that I haven't seen suggested yet, is to press the PowerBook's reset button. It's on the upper right corner of your Titanium's logic board (I drew a red arrow on the below pic from iFixit, to show you where it is). With the AC power connected, but with the PowerBook turned off, press that button one time for about one second. Then boot up the PowerBook and see if that helps.

Ti PBG4 Reset Button .jpeg

Finally, the Airport card. I personally wouldn't bother opening up the PowerBook to take that out either...again, unless you're comfortable with that. I would just use the settings in System Preferences to turn Airport off. Instead of Airport, I would plug a CardBus USB 2.0 adapter into the slot on the side of your PowerBook, and then plug one of these into one of the USB ports. This is the setup I use on my own Titanium PB, and with Edimax's drivers it works great. That way, you'll not only have Wireless-N, but also a free USB 2.0 port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.