Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ImBenCole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2019
Hi, long time lurker here. I have recently upgraded from a Flashed GTX 780 to an AMD Sapphire Pulse 580.

I purchased the card to save some time rendering but comparing my prior benchmarks AE only has a 5% increase and C4D has no performance increase at all. Anyone have some insight to what I could possibly be doing wrong or why the performance increase just isn't there?

Cheers,

Ben

ImBenCole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2019
Sounds like you upgraded the GPU for a CPU liming workflow
Yeah, Although I can't upgrade the CPUs anymore on the 5'1 from t he duel X5690. In a frustrating place, and not sure about paying god knows how much for the new Mac Pro thats coming out

joot

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2006
Some of us has moved onto the PC side. ~$2,000 will get you a very powerful system for Adobe, Davinci, etc.

ImBenCole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2019
Some of us has moved onto the PC side. ~$2,000 will get you a very powerful system for Adobe, Davinci, etc.
I 100% would if I had the choice, unfortunately our IT department only uses Macs for graphics design.

shuto

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2016
Yeah After Effects and Cinema4D don't use the GPU much hey.

If new Mac Pro is a no go - the i9 2019 Mac Pro is probably your best machine if most of your work is on After Effects. If you need more CPU rendering power for Cinema4D then maybe iMacPro.

ImBenCole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2019
Yeah After Effects and Cinema4D don't use the GPU much hey.

If new Mac Pro is a no go - the i9 2019 Mac Pro is probably your best machine if most of your work is on After Effects. If you need more CPU rendering power for Cinema4D then maybe iMacPro.
Ah ok thank you, I would have expected C4D to use more GPU then CPU because of 3D rendering, i'd say 70% cin 4D, 20% after eff, 10% Photoshop. Still think my best option is the Mac Pro and beg my IT team lmao

shuto

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2016
Ah ok thank you, I would have expected C4D to use more GPU then CPU because of 3D rendering, i'd say 70% cin 4D, 20% after eff, 10% Photoshop. Still think my best option is the Mac Pro and beg my IT team lmao
In Cinema4D the GPU is just used for the viewport. So yeah it can still be helpful to have a good GPU for when you have lots of polygons in a scene, but CPU matters a lot more, as render times are what really matter hey. When Cinema4D renders a frame it fully uses all of the CPU, so the more cores the better for that. (When Redshift finish their work making Redshift work on macs, you will be able to use the GPU to render, but then you'll need a system full of GPUs to make the most of it)

To be honest your dual 3.46 system is pretty good for C4D. But yeah I hope you get a new Mac Pro from your IT department.

I've been using CinebenchR20 to test the speed of my computers, trying to work out how they compare for multicore rendering...

Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 21.04.15.png

nMP is the 8 core 2013 MacPro
cMP is the same as yours, 12 core (dual 3.46)
PC is a i9-9900K - really good for only 8 cores hey

iMacPro I bough and returned because didn't like the glossy screen
iMac i9 is from online reviewers doing the same test. (I think the thermal constraints of an iMac make it render slower than a desktop PC using the same i9-9900K chip).

So if you'd like a better C4D system iMacPro maybe best bet?

(If you saw a AMD thread ripper PC on that graph it would be 11,800ish. Crazy good at rendering, but sadly not a mac option.)

Last edited:

sirio76

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
Shuto, while what you see in the C4D viewport is driven by the GPU, all the data need to be first calculated by the CPU and unfortunately most of this is performed by a single core, therefore what you really need to work fast in the editor/viewport is single thread performance. You can add whatever GPU you want on a classic MP but even a 5.000$ card won’t improve your editing experience significantly while working since the bottleneck is elsewhere. Threadrippers are great CPU for rendering(though some renderer are not well optimized for AMD CPU yet) but are much slower for editing compared to modern Intel processor. For example a top of the range 32core TR it’s about as fast as an old 8core nMP for viewport editing. The Xeon W 28core will be faster in both rendering(slightly) and editing(largely) compared to a 2990, it will cost a lot more but if you really need the best all around performer the 3275 wins. Of course AMD will be ahead in rendering again when the next TR will be released, but it’s very likely it will be still slower for editing.
I do not agree that what really matter is render speed, you need to look for the bottlenecks in your workflow and those can be different depending on users needs. Since the MP 2019 entry price is not very cheap and you’ll need to spend even more money to take the best out of it, I agree with you that an iMacPro will be a better choice for the OP. To be honest even for demanding workflow like mine a 14core iMacPro will be more than enough, the only reason why I choose to wait for the MP is because my bottleneck is the storage speed and while iMacPro disk will offer plenty of speed for common workflow, I need more.

Last edited:
Reactions: shuto and orph

Chappa

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2019
C4d has cpu render, use octane or redshift with nvidia card — this is gpu renders, it will impove your render time.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
I always default to pugetsystems for pro software info

all C4D articles

this comparison of CPU's is what you want to see

all AE

AE GPU comparison
:(
when you see a flat line for all GPU's it tells you that AE doesn't care about your GPU, the RTX 2060 about the same as a titan RTX 24GB ;)
;)

AE cpu fun

last i look most adobe apps where optimized for 6c/12t i7 CPU's and still had lots of bottlenecks at points limited to 2-4 threads

to be fair some plugins for AE used to use the GPU (i'm out of the loop now, I swapped to resolve)

sirio76

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
Puget analisys are usually good, bear in mind that benchmark do not tell everything though. From time to time there can be difference(even large difference) between benchmark and real life usage. Also as said some renderer are not well optimized for AMD so you may want to look for specific render engine benchmark if you do not use the C4D default one.

Reactions: orph

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
Puget is the only site I know that gives a good list of benchmarks on a mix of pro software & I like that as a system builder they seem fair among brands.

for most common problems like this topic they are a good reference i think

I see a lot of people who are confused on how software uses hardware & if there on a limited budget it's useful

for more advanced users I assume they either know how the software works or have an IT department who knows how the software works

an RX 580 is a nice card for OSX and fairly cheap so I think it's a nice upgrade, in the past I have seen some relay confused topics where the user has spent a lot on a computer part that had no influence on there workflow which is always a hard lesson to learn (if they ever learn it).

ps OP if your working with video you may want to look at this topic to actvate video HW acelration on an RX 580

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.