Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgm0348

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
I just purchased a Nikon D40 and I was wondering if there is anything special I need to do to make this camera work with my Macbook Pro intel? Also is Photoshop CS3 good to use or is iPhoto 08 the way to go?

Thanks in advance...

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
The camera should just be plug and play, you wont need anything else.

Photoshop and iPhoto are for two completely different purposes. iPhoto is a photo storage and a management system with some basic editing capabilities. Photoshop is an image editor.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I just purchased a Nikon D40 and I was wondering if there is anything special I need to do to make this camera work with my Macbook Pro intel? Also is Photoshop CS3 good to use or is iPhoto 08 the way to go?

Thanks in advance...

IPhoto is for cataloging, storage and seraches and for making minor changes like color balance, crops and exposure. Photoshop is best used for making changes to selected parts of and image. For example, painting out a utility pole from an otherwise scenic shot or bluring out a distracting backgroud object. Photoshop is also very expensive (costs more than your D40) I'd get either Abobe "Elements" for about $80 or "Gimp" which is free.

You need to develope what they call a "workflow". that's just a system for moving the images through a kind of production line you setup. Just a set of steps you like to follow. Steps should include downloading image to computer, review and delete the "total junk" make backup copies. Add keyworks, ratings and comments. Select the Best ones for mre work and possble publishing to print or DVD or the web. Everone has his own "system" for doing this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.