Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scuby

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2010
Just got my first Mac, and Aperture. I'm moving from Lightroom on PC.

I knew a while ago that I would end up moving this way, and knew that my Panasonic FX-150 RAW files weren't supported on OSX, so converted everything to DNG within Lightroom.

What i'm now finding, when i put the files on my new Mac, is that certain files say they're an unsupported file type - yet the next file, literally one taken seconds later, which has been processed and converted in exactly the same way, and is in exactly the same format, works perfectly.

I've already tried putting Adobe DNG converted to "reconvert" those files to different version of DNG (including the earlier version) but still comes up as unsupported in OSX.

So, as I don't really want to convert vast chunks of my library to jpg, is anyone aware of anything else i can try / any other way to change the RAW format so that OSX and Aperture can see them?

Thanks,

David

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Just got my first Mac, and Aperture. I'm moving from Lightroom on PC.

I knew a while ago that I would end up moving this way, and knew that my Panasonic FX-150 RAW files weren't supported on OSX, so converted everything to DNG within Lightroom.

What i'm now finding, when i put the files on my new Mac, is that certain files say they're an unsupported file type - yet the next file, literally one taken seconds later, which has been processed and converted in exactly the same way, and is in exactly the same format, works perfectly.

I've already tried putting Adobe DNG converted to "reconvert" those files to different version of DNG (including the earlier version) but still comes up as unsupported in OSX.

So, as I don't really want to convert vast chunks of my library to jpg, is anyone aware of anything else i can try / any other way to change the RAW format so that OSX and Aperture can see them?

Thanks,

David

RPP handles FX150 raw files. You should be fine with the free version, just change the interpolation and read the manual in the Help menu. It's still the best raw converter out there IMO, and you may find that you use it enough to donate $20, in which case you'll find that the film curves are addictive and you'll probably waste weeks and weeks re-converting all your images!

I find it helps to convert the first image in a series, then save that as the directory default and tweak everything else from there.

http://www.raw-photo-processor.com/RPP/Overview.html

Paul

Scuby

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2010
Thanks for your reply.

With my current setup i can aleady convert my RAW into jpg, through Lightroom on my PC (haven't got rid of that yet) - i'm keeping that as my fallback option, as i'd prefer to keep them in a RAW format that will work on my new Mac.

I *though* DNG was a fairly foolproof way to do that, but as i said it appears to only work for some photos, without any particular logic i can see as to why one works and another doesn't.

Cheers though,

David

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Thanks for your reply.

With my current setup i can aleady convert my RAW into jpg, through Lightroom on my PC (haven't got rid of that yet) - i'm keeping that as my fallback option, as i'd prefer to keep them in a RAW format that will work on my new Mac.

I *though* DNG was a fairly foolproof way to do that, but as i said it appears to only work for some photos, without any particular logic i can see as to why one works and another doesn't.

Cheers though,

David

Well, TIFF is a better option than JPEG, but as I said with RPP you can use your raw files natively and go to TIFF afterwards.

Paul

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.