Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lombardi3g

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2019
With my MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) I've been using an HP inkjet 8600 and the history has been a spotty USB connection using 3 different adaptors to connect to the Mac (used one at a time, but I switch adaptors when the current one seems to lose its charm). Things took a turn for the worse when the wifi connection for inet connection at work suffered a virus through the PCs and this seemed to disrupt my HP printer which is active on the local 6-person network even though I never print wirelessly. My Mac can no longer connect to the printer regardless of adaptor and so my plan to re-install the printer driver is scuttled.

Another bit of info: immediately after the viral infection, my Mac refused to use the HP printer per a dialog box warning and the printer driver seemed corrupted thereafter.

Regardless, I'd like to replace the HP printer with a Canon or other make inkjet because HP compatibility seems inferior.

What printer model would be a good choice? (color, 500 page tray, 2-sided printing, less than $600).

Is it now possible to buy a printer that will directly connect (w cable) to Thunderbolt ports?

I gave up on wireless printer 5 years ago but is it time to revisit? Would it be a better or worse bet than a cable connection in an office that supplies inet connectivity for email & web browsing probably designed for PCs?

All was good (not perfect) before the apparent viral attack on the LAN although I don't think my Mac suffered a serious direct infection. Should the printer wifi always be off? Am I better off with a printer that doesn't have wifi?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.