Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnsy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
I wonder if anyone had any experience with mac extended warranty from Adorama or any other retailer. Note that Mac here doesn't mean Apple computers.
My personal experience is that bestbuy, Circuitcity extended warranties are useless and waste of money, Apple is worth the money.

Reason is I am asking is that I might stretch my budget to buy L Canon lens, which is refurbished, so only 90 day warranty.
Really can't decide with my purchase, Canon makes hard choice producing only some lenses with IS, only in some length. I am getting an impression that ideal situation would be 3 lenses. While I would like to have no more than 2.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
There are a couple of things you can look at before deciding to buy a Mack warranty. (it is Mack, not Mac)

Check your homeowner's or renter's insurance policy. Either may cover you for accidental damage. Theft is a given under both policies if the items are scheduled in. At least my carrier covers both due to me paying about $3.00 a year to schedule those items in. However, there is also camera insurance, it covers you for a variety of things and is better than some Mack Warranty. Overall I have heard great things about Mack and I've heard bad things. I've seen more bad than good but like anything, people complain more than they commend around the internet so you have to be your own judge.

If your homeowner's or renter's polices do not cover things like this then check out camera insurance in general. You can insure your entire rig, not just one piece of glass. Check into things such as mechanical failure and what not. I know I'm covered with my D300 for that as well so I didn't and do not bother with the Mack warranty, ever.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
If your homeowner's or renter's polices do not cover things like this then check out camera insurance in general. You can insure your entire rig, not just one piece of glass. Check into things such as mechanical failure and what not. I know I'm covered with my D300 for that as well so I didn't and do not bother with the Mack warranty, ever.

As in disdat's and jessica's case, I had to buy an inexpensive rider to my homeowner's insurance that covers my camera and computer equipment. I'm pretty sure it doesn't cover mechanical failure (wear and tear), but it does cover accidental damage, which is more important.

I once spilled milk all over a laptop, and it was covered by this rider - quite a relief! Well in the end I didn't have to take advantage of it, since hosing it down with denatured alcohol seemed to "fix" it - but I'd called the insurance company and they did confirm the rider cover owner stupidity :D

That reminds me, I probably need to up the value of the rider - what with the laptops we've recently purchased...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.