Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alinato

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2017
Hi,
I have a mac harddrive where I installed bootcamp on one partition of it (windows 10).
For some reason the mac won't boot into mac anymore. So to recover my data I have removed the hard drive and put it in a caddy and connected it to another mac laptop. The problem is that the harddrive (now mounted as external harddrive) is only showing the Windows 10 (bootcamp) partition in finder. So I cannot recover my data in the mac partition.

Running diskutil list in terminal gives me the following output:

Code:
Students-MacBook-Air-43:~ student$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *121.3 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS MacHDD                  120.3 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
/dev/disk1 (external, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.3 GB   disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2: 7C3457EF-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC               200.0 GB   disk1s2
   3:       Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP                300.1 GB   disk1s3

Anybody could help me access the mac partition denoted by "7C3457EF-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC" which is 200GB worth of data??

Any help would be appreciated..
Many thanks indeed.

with kind regards,
Ali

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
What OS is the Mac laptop using? It needs to be at least High Sierra, I think, and Mojave would be better.

The partition type 7C3457EF-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC is the GUID for an APFS partition. Thus, you'll need an OS that can read (and possibly verify or repair) the APFS format.

The GUID is listed in the table here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

Find 7C34 on the page, or find APFS.

I'm also surmising that you don't have a backup. I hope the value of having current backups is now more clear.

alinato

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2017
What OS is the Mac laptop using? It needs to be at least High Sierra, I think, and Mojave would be better.

The partition type 7C3457EF-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC is the GUID for an APFS partition. Thus, you'll need an OS that can read (and possibly verify or repair) the APFS format.

The GUID is listed in the table here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

Find 7C34 on the page, or find APFS.

I'm also surmising that you don't have a backup. I hope the value of having current backups is now more clear.

Thanks, I'm using a laptop with El capitan and the had disk was in macos High Seira. So yes it is possible this is why it cannot be read. Yes I appreciate the value of backup now :(
I'll try to upgrade my laptop to macos Seira or Majove and hopefully it will work and see the partition

Can you boot off the external, Mac partition?
Unfortunately I can only boot off the external using the windows partition. The mac partition is not seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.