Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
Hi all, I really need some help.

First of all my "e" key started acting funny (it's like it's active all the time, so it's hard to type an 'e'), now after a few months the same is the case with my "g" key ...

I have contacted my insurance company and they are willing to fix it for a price (I have an electronics insurance) ... so this will be the action I will take if I can't fix it myself.

Anyways I fear someone might have installed some wicked software on the machine and this might be the reason - some ppl have had access to it.

- So first of all I would like to try and fully format/reset the entire machine and see if it helps. I have a slight suspicion that it's not a hardware error, I might be wrong...

- What's the best practise for this?
I have an empty harddisk with plenty of space.

- I have allot of data, and programs on the machine that I need to back up (esp. all my mails: 4 diffrent accounts in apple mail)

- I also need the backup if I have to move to a new machine (up to the insurance company).

- If it's a virus, will all be lost then If I use timemachine backup?

Plz help,
Dennis O. Madsen
PS: It's a macbook pro medio 2014.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Time Machine backs up everything. The issue with that is that if you do have a software error of some sort, that will be transferred to the backup and then to the machine when you restore again.

As a first course, I would do the complete TM backup (which you should have anyway) and then do a reinstallation of OS X without formatting. Simply start in Recovery Mode and hit "Reinstall OS X". That will leave all user data and so on intact and only replace the operating system. It's the least "invasive" option and good as a start.
See what that gives you.

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
Thank you for the help :)

Few questions:
1. Can a TM bacup be restored to a new macbook?
2. Can you pick and choose the what you extract when you recover?

Tnx again...

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Thank you for the help :)

Few questions:
1. Can a TM bacup be restored to a new macbook?
2. Can you pick and choose the what you extract when you recover?

Tnx again...
1. It can indeed. On that, see the last section: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18870
2. To some extent during the automated process. For finer details, you'd have to copy over your content yourself, which is also possible from the TM backup (but tedious of course).

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
thnx

1. Will do one right away.
2. I would just like a clean new install, but etc. move my mails, and data over over.

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
1. I made the time machine backup.
2. "Reinstall OS X". did sadly not fix it... :/

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I get the repeating key thing from time to time, as do other posters here. The two well-known causes that get fixed by removing them are other Bluetooth devices being too close to your Mac and interference caused by cheap USB 3 cables that have no/insufficient insulation. I have a Plantronics Edge headset - sometimes I forget to keep it away from my rMBP or Logitech K811 keyboard, and then my iPhone rings - and then the Mac and document I'm working on goes bonkers with extra characters and System beeps; the only fix is to turn off the keyboard or put the Mac to sleep, then move my headset a few feet away, then turn on my keyboard and/or Mac. I've eliminated the USB cable issue by tossing stock cables (except those from G-Tech) and replacing them.

Good luck. The "fixes" are free, hope that solves your problem...

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
well it's more that the e and now g key often won't work ...
When they work they make like 5 e's and 5 g's when I press the button.
Often the button has to be held down for longer time than usual to response...
It's ****in anoying and bascially makes it hell to type...

The problem is also when I'm at other places than home.
AND it wasn't always so it just started after having had the machine for 9 months or so.

Ohh and it's been rather constant with the e key, thouh I think i had like a week or two where it stopped... the same with the g key is totally new...

Last edited:

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
I just noticed your name. Are you Danish, or at least European, and did you purchase the machine in the EU?
If so, the machine is covered under the EU wide 2-year warranty.

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
Yes and yes, but I have a small scratch on my screen so not sure if it covers ...
also I think the keyboard is only covered for a single year...

The problem is really to be without a computer in the meantime... I use it for a living.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Yes and yes, but I have a small scratch on my screen so not sure if it covers ...
also I think the keyboard is only covered for a single year...

The problem is really to be without a computer in the meantime... I use it for a living.
- A scratch on the screen won't affect coverage. At all.

Absolutely all aspects of the product (including battery and software, despite common misconceptions) are covered for two years under Danish consumer protection laws. The EU wide laws are similar but slightly less generous.
Effectively, past the first year of ownership, the onus is on you to "prove" that the malfunction isn't your fault. But that burden of proof is really easy to lift. It's basically satisfied if the machine isn't visibly extensively damaged and if it hasn't been water damaged.

The Apple Authorised Service Provider Number1Service in Aarhus, Copenhagen, and Aabenraa will likely get you a turnaround time of just 1 business day if you bring it in early in the day. Alternatively, if you're a bit cheeky, buy another machine before turning your existing in, and then return it when you have your machine back.

Here's a good article on Danish consumer protection warranty (in Danish, naturally):
http://taenk.dk/gode-raad/kend-din-kobelov/reklamationsret-10-vigtige-regler

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
But I bought it in elgiganten, so I have to return it trough their system right? (I don't have apple care on it).

I don't get the "buy and return thing" but I can be with it for 2-3 days, 14 days will be problematic though.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
But I bought it in elgiganten, so I have to return it trough their system right? (I don't have apple care on it).

I don't get the "buy and return thing" but I can be with it for 2-3 days, 14 days will be problematic though.
- If it's less than one year old, you can use Elgiganten or any Apple Authorised Service Provider (such as Number1Service or Humac). If it's more than one year old, you have to go through Elgiganten (and they're likely going to be slow).

If you have the option, I'd recommend turning up at the place you choose and talking to an actual person instead of mailing it in. If you explain that you need it for professional uses and can't be without it, they might be able to expedite.

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
Thnx, it's bought the the 6th of november 14, so I'm not that lucky :/ ...

The thing is that if I run it trough my insurance they will fix the small scratch also, but it cost me 200dollars ...
Might be worth it ...

But they want me to send it to their own service center ... so I take it that that will take a long time...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.