Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GhostriderTC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2022
I am a web/software dev and I have always been in the habit of keeping everything in the cloud for the ease of having everything accessible on any device (phone, laptop, desktop and tablet) and for backup purposes (and sometimes reverting to an older version). I have used Dropbox in the past but with the issues of them not having a native silicone app until just recent I have moved over to OneDrive as their app became available in Jan 2022. Also I have 1TB free with 3 accounts as I have 3 business email addresses setup and I get 1TB free with every account. But now I am at my wits end and I just cannot find a good solution because cloud storage on a Mac M1 (16" Pro) just does not seem to work well (compared to my Windows Desktop). I have tried the following

1. Apple iCloud - very slow and no versioning. I once waited 5 minutes to upload a file (2MB) from my MacBook so I could open it on my phone. Doesn't work the best either on Windows.

2. OneDrive - horribly slow on my MacBook (keep on getting, cloud not communicate with Helper accpliceation and then I know I am done for) and once a file is downloaded it is marked as downloaded but its not. I cannot copy or move it. It needs to reconnect and actually download it properly. I tried to copy an entire previous keep on device directory and it needed to go online and download. Its just really not usable.

3. Dropbox - I am trying again as I have a free account and will see how this goes? Problem on Windows though (I have a windows desktop) I always have to fix the shell icon overlays as Windows is limited to the number you can have.

4. Google drive? Is this any good? I have a gmail account but how does it work

5. Any others?

Otherwise any developers out there with any good suggestions on how to maintain your code base with online, offline etc using cloud, not using cloud, using GIT etc? My other gripe is that my Mac is only 1TB and all my cloud storage is about 2TB so I have to use selective sync and keep some code offline and most of it online and then download as I need.

Gnattu

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2020
I'm using personal NAS and doing a simple rsync is good enough for me. A public cloud is basically, someone else's computer.

Reactions: satcomer

GhostriderTC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2022
I have thought of that but in South Africa our crime rate is bad so the risk of someone breaking in and stealing it is very high.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I really only use iCloud and don’t have issues with it but I don’t depend on it for large files.

You mentioned it being slow but that could be partly to do with your Internet speed. I’m not sure how it is where you’re at but here in the USA it’s very common to have fast download speeds but very slow upload speeds. Upload speeds is what you’re using when you put a file onto the cloud.

I know there’s dedicated cloud services but I think some can get expensive. Maybe someone here can recommend one. Sorry I’m not much help with that.

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
I use iCloud, onedrive and mega and have no problems with either. ISP connection 500/100. Maybe your problem is related to upload speed as @Russel_314 noted

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Most Cloud devices on Internet over promise especially on Mac or Linux machines!
load Services are fast if you live in California or West! Especially in Fly over States and East Coast are dog slow! That's why I went with Smart NAS for my Cloud file backups and DAS for clones on DAS drives! Modern smart NAS can now to many series like DSN, DHCP, open network services whatever your flavor! Besides I like by personal security with my Data!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.