Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adalwolfa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2017
I have three email accounts in Mac mail. Two of them I use anonymously at times but I have just discovered from return emails that my full name is associated with the email address. The person at the other end can see who I am. I have googled for help and old posts talk about how to change it by going into preferences, find your account and the "full name" box. Apparently in Sierra there is no such box. I am not happy as it is private information I do not wish to always disclose. Is there a way of changing or deleting my name from the email addresses I use?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Mail preferences, Accounts tab, select the account. In the "Email Address" drop-down, choose Edit Email Addresses. Double-click on the Full Name there.

Adalwolfa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2017
I think you have to do it in the "Internet Accounts" System preference pane. Then select the account and make sure the "Name:" filed is blank.

YES thanks, this worked. It turns out that my name is not in the field for name so I wonder why when I get a return email, my full name is showing up in the To: field. So now I have another problem. Thanks for your help. Both of you. cheers

thejasonhowell

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2013
Peoria, Illinois
YES thanks, this worked. It turns out that my name is not in the field for name so I wonder why when I get a return email, my full name is showing up in the To: field. So now I have another problem. Thanks for your help. Both of you. cheers

If they are in your contact card, your name will show up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.