Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JACK...

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2020
Hi

i just got given a mac mini 1,1 but it came with no hard drive im trying to install an os probly 10.5 but when i try to boot i get the message " no bootable device- insert boot disk and press any key. i think is is becsue it has previosly had windows on it.

the issue is the mac mini is not recognising my keyboard to do smc reset or anything like that no lights work on any keyboard ive tried.

i used carbon copy cloner to make a clone of mac os 10.6.8 from a macbook pro hoping it would boot the drive but i didnt work.

does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks
jack

tpivette89

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2018
Middletown, DE
Is this a PowerPC Mini, or an Intel Mini?

If Power PC, 10.6.X will not install on it, and you have to run Leopard (10.5.X).

If it's an Intel machine, you may have to get an install DVD or try downloading Snow Leopard onto a USB thumb drive and boot from it.

Perhaps re-format the drive and try cloning again from the MacBook Pro? Maybe something didn't stick the first time.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I wish people would just use the model year, I always have to look up those other numbers. :)

The Mini 1,1 is a 2006 Mini, available with either an Intel core solo 1.5, core duo 1.66 or core duo 1.83 CPU. According to EveryMac, it shipped with Mac OSX 10.4.5 and can be upgraded to 10.6.8.

You used to be able to purchase Mac OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard) directly from Apple on DVD - I remember doing this to upgrade an old iMac a number of years ago. Just checked, and it appears that 10.7 is the oldest operating system that Apple sells now.

Last edited:

JACK...

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2020
sorry for my late reply ive been really busy with work.

in the end my problem was sloved by hodling dow the unlabled button on the logic board for around 10 seccond whiel teh comuter was plugged in but not powerd on, i assume this is smc reset or pream reset.

i have installed mac os server 10.5 from usb and it now works fine.

Thanks for you're suggestions everyone
Jack

Reactions: Boyd01
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.