Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RK2020

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2020
Hello, I'm thinking about getting a eGPU with my Mac Mini 2012. I have a Cinema Display attached to the thunderbolt slot. I've been searching the web and forums for how the setup could work along side what I have now but it's really confusing. Any help or insights are welcomed.

TLDR - How will I connect the eGPU to my Mac Mini 2012 if my Cinema Display is already taking up the Thunderbolt slot?

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
Seems not possible without losing some Cinema Display functionality (like the webcam).
Otherwise it’s Apple TB3 (to egpu) to TB2 (female) Adapter, TB2 cable between adapter and Mac Mini to connect the eGPU, then Cinema Display -> DisplayPort Adapter -> eGPU.

RK2020

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2020
Seems not possible without losing some Cinema Display functionality (like the webcam).
Otherwise it’s Apple TB3 (to egpu) to TB2 (female) Adapter, TB2 cable between adapter and Mac Mini to connect the eGPU, then Cinema Display -> DisplayPort Adapter -> eGPU.

Thanks! I'm not very tech savy but I thought the USB connection to my mac mini from my Cinema Display was to control camera and etc, is that not the case?

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
Thanks! I'm not very tech savy but I thought the USB connection to my mac mini from my Cinema Display was to control camera and etc, is that not the case?

Oh, my mistake, I was unfamiliar with the Apple Cinema Display with thunderbolt connector and assumed everything went over thunderbolt. I’m still not sure whether everything will be working out of the box, like FireWire, ethernet, audio, sounds like WebCam and speakers and maybe USB will be fine, but probably worth checking out what exactly for the Apple Cinema Display goes over thunderbolt.

RK2020

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2020
Oh, my mistake, I was unfamiliar with the Apple Cinema Display with thunderbolt connector and assumed everything went over thunderbolt. I’m still not sure whether everything will be working out of the box, like FireWire, ethernet, audio, sounds like WebCam and speakers and maybe USB will be fine, but probably worth checking out what exactly for the Apple Cinema Display goes over thunderbolt.

Thanks for your insights "ruslan" - So if I get something like the Sonnet Echo Thunderbolt 2 ( https://www.sonnettech.com/product/echo-express-3d/overview.html). Then I won't need all the adapters? Thanks in advance for your advice.

for this

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2014
I have not looked into eGPU much since I have no immediate need for it. So what follows may not be up to date.

My impression is that the only eGPU's with a real "output" Thunderbolt port are the Blackmagic. But many don't like their non-upgradeable GPU's. And there is a thread saying it doesn't work with Apple Thunderbolt Display. https://egpu.io/forums/gpu-monitor-...olt-display-not-working-with-blackmagic-egpu/

For other eGPU's, the second TB port is just for daisy chaining only, not a real output port that sends out accelerated graphic data to the monitor. You should ask Sonnet to be sure.

The other choice for using an eGPU with a TB monitor is adding a TB port yourself by adding a Thunderbolt add-in-card (AIC) into the mix, like this: https://egpu.io/forums/builds/late-...nitor-output-macos-10-14-1-itsage/#post-49218

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.