Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KayvK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2021
I followed step by step an iFixit guide on replacing the Mac's old ass drive. Everything seemed good, except when I turned it on, it wouldn't POST.

I heard the fan spinning (and with further testing the old drive spinning), but after 5 seconds it would power off. It would then power on again and repeat the cycle. No boot chime at all.

I have tried SMC resets, Power Supply swaps, and double checking the cables. Nothing is working.

Any starters? I am completely out of ideas.

KayvK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2021
Forgot to mention that I have tried plugging it in to a different outlet too. Didnt work

KayvK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2021
UPDATE: I replaced the PRAM battery and now it's beeping every 1 second, indicating a RAM issue. This sucks, since the RAM is soldered in. But it wasnt like this before replacing the hard drive, so is there anything Ive ****ed up?

Kaida

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2016
Singapore
yea you could have yanked on the memory chip when you are pulling out the motherboard. Find those component level repair people in your neighborhood to see if they can remount the ram chips

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Make sure all the connections are solid.

Too late now, but I'm curious. Why did you swap out the drive? Was it defective? If it wasn't defective, the much easier storage upgrade is to install an NVMe SSD. You can keep a working HD in for extra storage or Time Machine.

KayvK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2021
Make sure all the connections are solid.

Too late now, but I'm curious. Why did you swap out the drive? Was it defective? If it wasn't defective, the much easier storage upgrade is to install an NVMe SSD. You can keep a working HD in for extra storage or Time Machine.
Double checked, everything looks solid. I did **** up on the IR cable, but I've fixed that, and to my knowledge it should boot up without an IR cable (though I'm not certain.)
I'm suspecting now an underlying issue with the hardware that only failed just now (because I got unlucky or something).

As for why I was replacing the hard drive: It was so unbelievably slow. Plus, I didn't have an NVMe SSD lying around, nor the slot that it's plugged into. I had one of the cheaper models that was missing the slot, and I didn't feel like buying one for basically the same performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.