Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mglakner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2019
I just switched from Sierra to Mojave. Migration assistant my old files. Went to the do the security update. I forget which one, anyway I beehive there is a software issue preventing the boot now.

Any help would be great, I would love to not start from scratch. My mac is backed up. so I have all files. But anyone who can tell me what file of what is causing the problem.

Full disclosure this is my home server, I used to run a Hackintosh as my server, got tired of it and moved to a LEGIT, mac mini, I migrated the files over, could this be a problem with some residual software from my hacking days?

Attachments

• IMG_3391.JPG
    IMG_3391.JPG
    507.7 KB · Views: 326

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I like doing Mac repairs, so I do updates/migrations quite often - sometimes a couple of times a week.
If your Mac was booting/working OK after the upgrade from Sierra to Mojave, and now won't finish a boot after the latest security update - yes, it's possible that something from your migration from a hackintosh, allowing the system to work OK --- then the security update replaced or removed something from that migrated system, and maybe something important was removed during that process.
I would suggest that this is a good time to boot to your Mojave bootable installer. (You did make one, right?)
If you don't have that, you should download the latest Mojave installer, and create a bootable flash drive from that.
Boot to your Mojave installer. Reinstall Mojave. Assuming no major glitches are remaining, the reinstall should clean things up, and get you going again. This would install on top of your migrated files, so you should not lose any of your own software or data.

mglakner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2019
I like doing Mac repairs, so I do updates/migrations quite often - sometimes a couple of times a week.
If your Mac was booting/working OK after the upgrade from Sierra to Mojave, and now won't finish a boot after the latest security update - yes, it's possible that something from your migration from a hackintosh, allowing the system to work OK --- then the security update replaced or removed something from that migrated system, and maybe something important was removed during that process.
I would suggest that this is a good time to boot to your Mojave bootable installer. (You did make one, right?)
If you don't have that, you should download the latest Mojave installer, and create a bootable flash drive from that.
Boot to your Mojave installer. Reinstall Mojave. Assuming no major glitches are remaining, the reinstall should clean things up, and get you going again. This would install on top of your migrated files, so you should not lose any of your own software or data.

Thank you for the tip, will try right now and report back. In the future though I assume i will continue to have this issue. Any advice to remedy it?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I don't agree with your idea that you might continue to have this issue.
You will soon find out, because a macOS reinstall such as I suggest, will mean that you will be offered the security update again. It will force you to reboot. If it works this time (and you boot without problems), then you might assume that problem is fixed -- probably because any "leftovers" from the hackintosh migration are now gone.
Let us know how it goes! (I am 98% confident about this... :cool: )

mglakner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2019
I don't agree with your idea that you might continue to have this issue.
You will soon find out, because a macOS reinstall such as I suggest, will mean that you will be offered the security update again. It will force you to reboot. If it works this time (and you boot without problems), then you might assume that problem is fixed -- probably because any "leftovers" from the hackintosh migration are now gone.
Let us know how it goes! (I am 98% confident about this... :cool: )
I tried to reinstall Mojave without success got the same KP.

I resorted to a fresh install and I'll just transfer apps and docs over. It will take time but then I'll know everything is good.

Reactions: DeltaMac

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
I tried to reinstall Mojave without success got the same KP.

I resorted to a fresh install and I'll just transfer apps and docs over. It will take time but then I'll know everything is good.
Before you re-install Mojave back into the Mac Mini, you need to check whether you have the latest boot rom and SMC firmware. What is your boot rom and SMC firmware on your Mini now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.