Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nyoungman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2016
While waiting for an iFixit teardown or OWC memory installation video, I came across this Macworld unboxing that opens up the case near the end. Skip to 7:55.

From Tom's Guide:

"So, even if you have a set of tiny Torx drivers, you'll probably need to get a different screwdriver, one with a hole in the center to accommodate that pin. Specifically, you'll need a driver for a TR6 Torx security screw."

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/mac-mini,review-5908.html

Along with an opening tool like for the 2014 Mac Mini (or a credit card):

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Mac+mini+Late+2014+Teardown/30410

After that, there is a cable attached to the wireless module/antenna, removal of the fan, and the memory is in a cage. Until we see an official teardown or guide, we don't know what other tools are needed to do a RAM upgrade.

So based on this, are you still thinking of installing your own RAM in a new Mac mini?

For a 16 GB upgrade, I think the Apple pricing is within reason -- when I consider buying the RAM and tools separately, and the time to install and test the memory. Beyond that, I feel like Apple's pricing is out of line and difficult to justify.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
While waiting for an iFixit teardown or OWC memory installation video, I came across this Macworld unboxing that opens up the case near the end. Skip to 7:55.

From Tom's Guide:

"So, even if you have a set of tiny Torx drivers, you'll probably need to get a different screwdriver, one with a hole in the center to accommodate that pin. Specifically, you'll need a driver for a TR6 Torx security screw."

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/mac-mini,review-5908.html

Along with an opening tool like for the 2014 Mac Mini (or a credit card):

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Mac+mini+Late+2014+Teardown/30410

After that, there is a cable attached to the wireless module/antenna, removal of the fan, and the memory is in a cage. Until we see an official teardown or guide, we don't know what other tools are needed to do a RAM upgrade.

So based on this, are you still thinking of installing your own RAM in a new Mac mini?

For a 16 GB upgrade, I think the Apple pricing is within reason -- when I consider buying the RAM and tools separately, and the time to install and test the memory. Beyond that, I feel like Apple's pricing is out of line and difficult to justify.

just found it so there is a grill. looks like mini with feet and plastic removed will run cool.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon

I absolutely will. Another poster here did it, posted pics and said it took about 20 minutes. Which is what I was thinking. It doesn't look difficult. I'm sure if you haven't done this before it can look intimidating but anything you've never done before is intimidating at first. But after you realize it was no big deal.

Reactions: tedson

jameschho

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2003
Pasadena, CA
Yes, absolutely. I've got all my tools ready and the RAM has come in from Crucial. My mini comes today and I'll be doing the ram upgrade straight out of the box.

The mac stadium guy said on twitter that he thinks the upgrade will require the removal of the logic board. In any case, it can't be any harder to accomplish than the hard drive replacement on a iMac. I've torn down, repaired and rebuilt many Macbooks, iMacs and Minis before this so I'm not worried about difficulty.

Check out this reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/9uvcm5/macstadium_guy_on_ram_upgrades/
[doublepost=1541611623][/doublepost]
I absolutely will. Another poster here did it, posted pics and said it took about 20 minutes. Which is what I was thinking. It doesn't look difficult. I'm sure if you haven't done this before it can look intimidating but anything you've never done before is intimidating at first. But after you realize it was no big deal.

Do you have a link to that post?
[doublepost=1541611765][/doublepost]Found it: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...in-the-mac-mini.2150796/page-16#post-26769352

Reactions: nyoungman

MrElvey

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2010

I watched the more complete teardown 360 posted just before coming here. I'll be installing my own RAM; looks easy for me. But I'll be waiting for it to drop in price first. And probably go straight to 64GB. I noticed micron isn't even selling the SODIMMS for a 64GB Mac Mini upgrade yet. (Only 64GB option they offer today is a 16GBx4 DIMM form factor.)

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Not quite piece of cake but that looks totally doable, even fun !

Just have to get past my need to buy wiha security torx bits :D

Last edited by a moderator:

maomaoio

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2018
Looks like we can not add a second hard drive in it.

Any ideas about 64GB ram setup? Can't find any on Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cordorb

macrumors regular
May 8, 2010
Would someone with the new mini test the following start up keys.

We did a quick test on a demo and these two did not give the same results as older units.

The hardware test only gave a OK-passed message

With user installed memory the old longer memory test would seem like a better option.

I should have our dev mini later this week and
Ric Ford
MacInTouch just got his and is posting many reports today.

Verbose Mode: Command (⌘)—V and

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.