Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Mac Mini to buy for the same price?

• Total voters

HectorBarbossa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2016
Hi,

I want to buy a mac mini and I have an opportunity to buy one with i5-4308U(2.8GHz) + Fusion drive(1TB) or one with i5-4278U(2.6GHz) + SSD(256GB) for the same price. I believe that 256GB of SSD would be quite sufficient for me.

I am a java developer and I just want to make most out of it.

I realise 4278U has a bit better peformance on macs as well as the Fusion drive is a bit slower than SSD (espacially when runninng out of 128GB). Which one do you think would be more sufficient?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Hi,

I want to buy a mac mini and I have an opportunity to buy one with i5-4308U(2.8GHz) + Fusion drive(1TB) or one with i5-4278U(2.6GHz) + SSD(256GB) for the same price. I believe that 256GB of SSD would be quite sufficient for me.

I am a java developer and I just want to make most out of it.

I realise 4278U has a bit better peformance on macs as well as the Fusion drive is a bit slower than SSD (espacially when runninng out of 128GB). Which one do you think would be more sufficient?

I honestly wouldn't buy either of those for your usage. Personally I'd either wait until a Mac Mini update, or buy a 2012 quad-core i7 Mac Mini & throw an SSD/16GB RAM in.

Reactions: xoAnna and phrehdd

xoAnna

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2013
Planet Earth…
I honestly wouldn't buy either of those for your usage. Personally I'd either wait until a Mac Mini update, or buy a 2012 quad-core i7 Mac Mini & throw an SSD/16GB RAM in.

PBI - Where is a reliable source for buying a 2012 quad-core i7 Mac Mini? Any particular stores? I can't seem to find them anymore on Apple (obviously). Thanks.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
the SSD i5 should get you where you need to be, i wouldn't waste you're time looking for (most likely overpriced) quad core Mac mini's. Having used a maxed out 2014 Mac mini it does quite a bit of what is needed compared to a quad 2012 mini. If you need quad core, try for a refurb 21-inch iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.