Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robtongeman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2018
Leigh, UK
Hi guys

Can you or anybody else out there help? I'm having problems with USB stick booting of VMware vSphere.

I have a Mac Mini 5,1 and a Mac Mini 5,2 which both run 6.7 vSphere no problems. I use Integral USB 3.0 Fusion drives for the OS installs. Everything is cool and works well. I really love these boxes!

However, i've now picked up two Mac Mini 6,1 models and i've hit a brick wall which is hugely frustrating.

I run a USB CD-ROM install of 6.7 with no problems. My internal storage (1tb hd & 250gb ssd) are seen as is the USB stick. I complete the install with no issues to the USB stick.

But on reboot, the USB stick with the fresh 6.7 install just isn't seen by either of the two 6,1 mini's. I've tried all sorts of combinations and nothing changes.

Yet I can take the fresh 6.7 installed USB stick, insert it into either of my 5,1 or 5,2 Minis and it boots no problem.

Why the hell is this happening? Has anybody seen this before?

I really hope so because otherwise, i've got £800 worth of Mac Mini's that I can't use !

Oh and for clarity, before I started attempting 6.7 installs, both the new 6,1 Mini's were booting to their MacOSX volumes no problem, all drives discovered etc. as I saved the hard drives from them.

I can use a USB3.0 to SATA dongle to connect them to the 6,1 Mini's and boot their MacOSX installs successfully over USB and then see the fresh USB 6.7 install partitions in Disk Utility if I insert the USB sticks.

Really Wierd !!!!
Regards
Rob

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.