Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
I have had my beloved M1 Mac Mini since the spring of 2022. Rugged, dependable workhorse.

I recently updated to MacOS Sonoma 14.1 from MacOS Ventura 13. Unfortunately, there was an immediate side-effect: AirDrop started acting up.

This happened before, but not recently.

Here's how it goes: each morning, I download the newspaper as a PDF file. I can then share the newspaper with another computer in a separate room for others to view via AirDrop. (Back in the good old days, I used a thumb drive. I discovered that thumb drives do eventually wear out.)

Here's the problem: since I updated to MacOS Sonoma, the computer I want to AirDrop to is no longer visible in my AirDrop window on the Mac Mini. If I physically pick up the other computer and bring it to the same room, the other computer becomes visible in my Mac Mini's AirDrop window. But if the other computer is in the next room above me, I haven't been able to get the Mac Mini to "notice" the other computer.

This was not an issue prior to download Sonoma. The happened in the past, but that was several months ago when the Mini was using an earlier MacOS. Is there a problem with WiFi range on M1 hardware running Sonoma?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.