Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jukeboxaddict

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2014
Hey folks. Trying to gauge how common of a problem this is. I just bought a 2018 Mac mini, and I've noticed that macOS isn't recognizing my Logitech Bluetooth mouse and keyboard after a full restart.

When going to SLEEP, the keyboard and mouse can wake up the Mac mini just fine. But an actual restart requires me to plug in a wired keyboard, log in, and then both Bluetooth devices instantly connect and work normally.

Is this some kind of macOS security measure? Or just an annoying glitch? I feel like I've seen it happen on MacBooks before too, so it's not just a mini thing.

yukari

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2010
I have the same issue with Logitech K780 keyboard but NOT with K811 keyboard.

It seems to be hit and miss depending on which bluetooth keyboard you use.

Interestingly, with 10.14.2 and 10.14.4 they both worked without any problems. It seems to be only the "odd" numbered Mojave versions (10.14.1; 10.14.3; and now 10.14.5) that seem to have this problem.

jukeboxaddict

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2014
I have the same issue with Logitech K780 keyboard but NOT with K811 keyboard.

It seems to be hit and miss depending on which bluetooth keyboard you use.

Interestingly, with 10.14.2 and 10.14.4 they both worked without any problems. It seems to be only the "odd" numbered Mojave versions (10.14.1; 10.14.3; and now 10.14.5) that seem to have this problem.

Yep that's the exact keyboard I've got. I could switch, but I really like the stand area for my iPad Pro.

yukari

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2010
K780 comes with unifying receiver (under the keyboard inside the battery compartment). You may try that to see if it resolves the issue. Of course, that means you have to use one of the USB ports on your Mini.

MikeGS3

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2018
London, England
Have had the same issue with the Apple magic keyboard. As I’m the only user for my mini, I’ve switched off the login password requirement.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Fishrrman's "dumb solution he suggests over and over again" recommendation:
Get a WIRED keyboard.
They ALWAYS work.

marclondon

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2009
London
Not the only devices that don't work on a reboot - my HDMI to DVI monitor doesn't, but unplugging the HDMI jack from the Mini and reconnecting brings it to life.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
marc wrote:
"my HDMI to DVI monitor doesn't, but unplugging the HDMI jack from the Mini and reconnecting brings it to life."

This is a very common problem with the 2018 Mini.
Apple knows about this, but so far ... no fix.

Something is going amok during the boot process that causes the Mini to either "drop" or "turn off" output to the display. You'll note that even though the display goes black, this doesn't "crash" the Mini -- it keeps right on going as if "the display wasn't there". But -- if you UNPLUG and then RECONNECT the display, it "forces the Mini to take note of the new connection", and it starts sending display output to the monitor once more.

I've had this exact same problem on my own 2018 Mini.

Question:
Does your display also have an HDMI input?
If so, you might try an HDMI 2.0 (the "2.0" could be important) cable, and see if there's one that is "bi-directional" (as opposed to "one-way").

There's no promise that will work.
In my case, I found that HDMI (mini) to HDMI (display) would occasionally result in the "black screen", but that an HDMI (mini) to DVI (display) cable works every time. YMMV.

One other thing I'll bet would work (but I haven't tried it myself):
Get a cheap HDMI "switch" that has one port on one side and two ports on the other.
Run a short HDMI cable from the Mini to the switch, and another cable from ONE of the ports on the back to the display.
Now... if the display "goes black" during bootup... flip the switch one way, and then flip it back. I'll bet this will coax the Mini into delivering a display signal again...

Last edited:

marclondon

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2009
London
marc wrote:

Question:
Does your display also have an HDMI input?

No - I've going via an HDMI to DVI dongle. I have two monitors - the other is on a USB-C to DVI dongle. This fires up fine. Truth is this is a small inconvenience as I rarely boot my Minis once they are set up - waking from sleep is OK.

I do feel a bit guilty though as I returned some memory because I thought it wasn't working - I only connected the HDMI-DVI monitor when booting. Then I read about this and connected both monitors when I got replacement memory...

gdbleb

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
NJ
This is a common issue that has had some very long threads here since the MM 2018 introduction. Some have blamed the proximity of USB &/or HDMI connections to the bluetooth antenna. I had the very same issue with the old AA battery-powered Apple keyboard and mouse. I now have the new rechargeable Magic Keyboard and MagicMouse 2 and reconnection after reboot or wake-up is "ALMOST" flawless. I never got to the bottom of the problem but I suspect some variation(s) in Bluetooth versions implemented in the partner devices.

MikeGS3

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2018
London, England
This is a common issue that has had some very long threads here since the MM 2018 introduction. Some have blamed the proximity of USB &/or HDMI connections to the bluetooth antenna. I had the very same issue with the old AA battery-powered Apple keyboard and mouse. I now have the new rechargeable Magic Keyboard and MagicMouse 2 and reconnection after reboot or wake-up is "ALMOST" flawless. I never got to the bottom of the problem but I suspect some variation(s) in Bluetooth versions implemented in the partner devices.

As mentioned previously I’ve had this issue, and that is with the rechargeable keyboard and mouse. So I don’t think the whole range is immune to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.