Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hummin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2006
a mac mini (maybe the upcoming coreduo2) with 2 GB of ram
will be good to work in photography ? (lightroom + ps cs2 on 10mpixel files)

I'm using a imac 17" core duo 2 with 2GB of ram , and that's good.

the mini with 2 GB is really more slower than the macchine I'm using ?

thanks

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
a mac mini (maybe the upcoming coreduo2) with 2 GB of ram
will be good to work in photography ? (lightroom + ps cs2 on 10mpixel files)

I'm using a imac 17" core duo 2 with 2GB of ram , and that's good.

the mini with 2 GB is really more slower than the macchine I'm using ?

thanks

no.. you'll be fine, or as fine as the 17" core 2 duo

thumb

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
The mini with intel is great for *most* of what you will want to do. Its biggest drawback is integrated graphics, meaning programs that use the graphics card more than the cpu will not be *as* good as with a more powerful machine. Mostly for photography, that means apple's Aperture. Lightroom and photoshop stress the processor more. That said, it all still works well on the mini (great for hobbiests like me, maybe not so much for pros).

cs2 of course is still UB, so don't buy it if you dont have to yet.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
The mini with intel is great for *most* of what you will want to do. Its biggest drawback is integrated graphics, meaning programs that use the graphics card more than the cpu will not be *as* good as with a more powerful machine. Mostly for photography, that means apple's Aperture. Lightroom and photoshop stress the processor more. That said, it all still works well on the mini (great for hobbiests like me, maybe not so much for pros).

cs2 of course is still UB, so don't buy it if you dont have to yet.

graphic cards are good for 3D ones... aperture is no 3D, so it does not depend on the graphic card (what makes you think lightroom process so much differently than aperture?)

CS2 is still NOT UB, i take it?

don't give out misinformation

Hummin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2006
I'm working with Photoshop cs2 just these days on a iMac core duo 2 2ghz with 2GB of ram and works good for me.

I tryed aperture but I don't think I'll keep for work , I feel better lighrtoom.
I don't play and don't use video editing software .
lightroom seems to don't make use of core image like aperture so ....

if the mini with 2GB is the same as my imac 17" core duo 2 well ... that's ok for me. and I can save money instead of buying a mac pro.

one thing , mini suffers if I leave on all the day working on something ?

thanks to all

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.