Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

faja10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2017
I am new into Mac OS server and I have found possibilities that come with Xcode integration. I need a machine that will work ONLY as a server for building small Xcode projects.

Which Mac mini model will be the best for my needings? Like I said Mac mini will be used only for server Xcode builds + upload to App Store so I don't want to buy overpay. On the other hand I would like to use these machine for at least year or two so I should be able to handle newer versions of Xcode. I consider used Mac as well. I am using Xcode 8 and swift 3.0.

Dookieman

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2009
Yes a Mac Mini will be fine. The are completely over priced for what's in them, but they will work for your needs. My team has our CI set up on a bunch of Mac Mini's and they work fine.

faja10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2017
But which model will be the best. Which specs should I consider the most? Ssd ram, or just buy cheapest used Mac from 2010 or so?

Dookieman

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2009
But which model will be the best. Which specs should I consider the most? Ssd ram, or just buy cheapest used Mac from 2010 or so?

I would get something relatively recent. Apple has been deprecating old Mac's, so if you buy one released in the past few years, you'll be able to use it longer.

Definitely get one with a SSD. Other things are negligible, since you aren't going to use as a development computer, it won't matter if Xcode takes additional couple minutes to compile projects, I wouldn't dump a ton of money into it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.