Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ltpitt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2020
Hi all!

My mac mini g4, happily whirring Debian for 10 years or more, started to be very noisy lately.

Fan runs at high speed for a lot of the time.

Do you have any mod / tutorial to clean / repast e /suggestion?

Thanks!

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
After 10 years, I think it's time to clean the dust out :p

If you've never opened a mini before, it's really not as bad as it looks. Use a putty knife or a thin butter knife, be patient with it, and they're pretty easy to crack the shell off. After that it's a couple screws and cables to lift the drive assembly off which'll give you easy access to the heatsink and fan. If you're feeling adventurous, repasting it is a solid idea too. The heatsink is held on with a few snap clips that go through the logic board; just be careful undoing them so as not to break 'em and you'll be fine ^_^

Reactions: Amethyst1

Wild Hare

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2021
Here’s how I approach it…

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,4427.msg31396.html#msg31396 (pictures)

AND the (4) little black plastic retainers on the heatsink… using small hemostats, I compress their bottoms enough to then carefully push them through to release the CPU heatsink for re-pasting. If you’re careful enough, they can be re-used. If not, then small nylon nuts and blots (from the hardware store) can be used to replace them if necessary. (Don’t lose the springs.)

Also - use four plastic or rubber feet (.25 inch) on the four corners of the bottom (afterwards) to raise the mini up off of its’ rubber bottom pad to increase airflow underneath the mini.

TEN YEARS? Yes, likely some accumulated dust inside.;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.