Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vebaev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
Dear all,
I have a Mac mini mid 2011 (sorry for the title it is mid 2011) and I want to upgrade the HDD with a ~120GB SDD. I have searched all day some brands and models SSD and I constantly find info that some models sdd do not work.... (for example I liked SanDisk X400 and have found info for a guy got it and it wouldn't boot with it).

So I will very much appreciate who have experience with working brands/models of SDD for the specific mini to share the info in the thread?

Thanks a lot!!

Last edited:

acer66

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2006
Does the late 2012 mini have the same issues with ssd's if there are really any like the 2011?

Also, is that really worth it?

Thank you

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
The 2012 Mini has the advantage of USB 3.0 (IIRC, the 2011 only has slow USB 2.0). This makes external SSD's a nice option. Why risk damaging your computer by opening it up when you can get nice throughput with an external drive? I am using a 1TB Samsung T3 SSD on my 2012 quad server and am really happy with it. This machine is setup to boot from Mountain Lion on the original Apple internal SSD and Sierra on the external SSD. Am running powerful software like Final Cut Pro X, Compressor and Logic Pro X and it really flies. :)

Samsung has announced the T5 series of USB SSD's and they should be shipping soon. They are even faster, but it's not clear to me whether a machine like the 2012 Mini would perform any better with these new drives. But here is what I get with the external T3

samsung1tb.jpg

For comparison, this is the original Apple internal SM256e SSD on the same Mini. It's faster, but not fast enough to justify tearing the Mini apart to install IMO.

mini_sm256e.jpg

Reactions: acer66 and jbarley

pdafan

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Dear all,
I have a Mac mini mid 2011 (sorry for the title it is mid 2011) and I want to upgrade the HDD with a ~120GB SDD. I have searched all day some brands and models SSD and I constantly find info that some models sdd do not work.... (for example I liked SanDisk X400 and have found info for a guy got it and it wouldn't boot with it).

So I will very much appreciate who have experience with working brands/models of SDD for the specific mini to share the info in the thread?

Thanks a lot!!
I have done the upgrade many times. A bit daunting for the 1st time. After that, it's really easy peasy.
Used many brands before. E.g. Samsung EVO, Crucial, Transcend, WD Blue.
I am surprised that there would be any brand not compatible. It should be able to take in any SATA3 SSDs in my opinion.

P.S. You need the right tools.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.