Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gloryofgreece

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
seattle
Is there a concern with only 8 gig of RAM, M1 mac could use more swap memory than that of 16 gig ram, thus causing wear and tear on the SSD over time leading to premature demise?

I am a computer science student, but not a power user. i dont really use any photography or video editing tools.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
There's discussion on this on the 8GB vs 16GB RAM thread as well as here:

DriveDX reports attributes for Available Spare, Life Percentage Used and Host Writes (albeit, the accuracy of Host Writes is in question).

@thinkingBanana has reported host writes of 6.1/6.7 TiB/TB but even with those relatively high numbers, Life Percentage Used still hasn't moved at all.

At this point, we're just at wait and see.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Is there a concern with only 8 gig of RAM, M1 mac could use more swap memory than that of 16 gig ram, thus causing wear and tear on the SSD over time leading to premature demise?

I am a computer science student, but not a power user. i dont really use any photography or video editing tools.
We're talking about a $200 difference for a component that you'll likely want to upgrade down the road anyway, but won't be able to since you can't upgrade the RAM on an M1 Mac. I'd just spec for 16GB of RAM and call it a day. If you're a student, then it becomes a $180 upgrade.

Reactions: Never mind

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
I don't think it is an issue, as Apple's stock M1 MBP/Air configurations that ship out to retail Apple Stores, Best Buy, Target, etc. are only 8GB RAM models. The 16GB M1 has to be custom-ordered from the Apple site...meaning that MAJORITY of M1 owners will only have 8GB RAM. Apple believes that is fine for most customers, who all will expect the long-lasting reputation of Mac computers.

But if after hearing that you're still worried, or still gonna think about swap than just buy the 16 GB RAM model and move on.

Reactions: rui no onna

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
This is what happens with some Youtubers make up crap for views. If less ram killed MacBooks every older MacBook with 4 GB of RAM would be dead now ?

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I don't think it is an issue, as Apple's stock M1 MBP/Air configurations that ship out to retail Apple Stores, Best Buy, Target, etc. are only 8GB RAM models. The 16GB M1 has to be custom-ordered from the Apple site...meaning that MAJORITY of M1 owners will only have 8GB RAM. Apple believes that is fine for most customers, who all will expect the long-lasting reputation of Mac computers.

But if after hearing that you're still worried, or still gonna think about swap than just buy the 16 GB RAM model and move on.
I might just distill it down to the text in bold.

Reactions: moldy lunchbox
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.