Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lr123internet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2023
Greetings,
I've used iMacs for years. I'm switching to a Mac Mini M2 Pro. I need advice on best monitor for me - Work from home, so at monitor for hours at a time, mostly standard Office apps (Word, Excel), internet surfing, zoom meetings, some work with photos and videos, need easy on the eyes. I am leaning towards the Apple Studio since it's plug and play, with built in webcam, speakers. But, of course it's so pricey.... I would like something between 24inches and 28inches due to space constraints. I would like to stay under $800, but if webcam speakers have to be added, that's a factor.
So, I am here asking for advice. There are so many threads on this, and every time I read through, I get more confused. I don't really understand which factors should matter to me (refresh rate, pixels, connectivity, etc). I need easy reading, sharp fonts, and good audio as I'm hard of hearing. I think something up to retina display quality.
Please make any kindly suggestions. Thank you!

foo2

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Greetings,
I've used iMacs for years. I'm switching to a Mac Mini M2 Pro. I need advice on best monitor for me - Work from home, so at monitor for hours at a time, mostly standard Office apps (Word, Excel), internet surfing, zoom meetings, some work with photos and videos, need easy on the eyes. I am leaning towards the Apple Studio since it's plug and play, with built in webcam, speakers. But, of course it's so pricey.... I would like something between 24inches and 28inches due to space constraints. I would like to stay under $800, but if webcam speakers have to be added, that's a factor.
So, I am here asking for advice. There are so many threads on this, and every time I read through, I get more confused. I don't really understand which factors should matter to me (refresh rate, pixels, connectivity, etc). I need easy reading, sharp fonts, and good audio as I'm hard of hearing. I think something up to retina display quality.
Please make any kindly suggestions. Thank you!
If you don't game, refresh > 60hz doesn't matter. ASD and LG at "only" 60hz isn't a factor.

If you want all-integrated (webcam, speakers, mic, etc.) the ASD and LG's competitor (at perhaps $300 less, not quite as pretty, speakers not quite as good, otherwise not terribly different) are the two big players.

If you can wait a bit (the story of IT...) Dell's coming out with some new models that, based on their past history, will destroy the previous price barriers (ie, the fact that LG is able to sit at $300 under Apple's price, and there is zero other cost movement). Dell also traditionally adds far superior connectivity (so expect DP1.4, HDMI2.1, USB4, etc. on the better ones.)

Also bear in mind we all just missed Costco's sale ($1299, $300 off list). No telling when/if that would come back.

But if you need something right now, today, then you should decide the premium you'll pay for the Apple logo (and its' admittedly prettier form factor) and pick between those two for 5k.

For 4k there are countless choices.

lr123internet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2023
If you don't game, refresh > 60hz doesn't matter. ASD and LG at "only" 60hz isn't a factor.

If you want all-integrated (webcam, speakers, mic, etc.) the ASD and LG's competitor (at perhaps $300 less, not quite as pretty, speakers not quite as good, otherwise not terribly different) are the two big players.

If you can wait a bit (the story of IT...) Dell's coming out with some new models that, based on their past history, will destroy the previous price barriers (ie, the fact that LG is able to sit at $300 under Apple's price, and there is zero other cost movement). Dell also traditionally adds far superior connectivity (so expect DP1.4, HDMI2.1, USB4, etc. on the better ones.)

Also bear in mind we all just missed Costco's sale ($1299, $300 off list). No telling when/if that would come back.

But if you need something right now, today, then you should decide the premium you'll pay for the Apple logo (and its' admittedly prettier form factor) and pick between those two for 5k.

For 4k there are countless choices.
Thank you for the suggestions! What is the 4k/5k difference from the user point of view?

ondioline

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2020
Studio Display will give you the iMac experience obviously, I bought two and I love them. I use one for Zoom every day. Hard to beat the native experience (volume/brightness controls etc)

It's overpriced for sure, but unlike the iMac this is something you will be able to hang onto for a decade and subsequent Mac upgrades.

aibo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
Southern California
I migrated from a 2017 5k iMac 27" to an M2 Pro Mini + Studio Display. It's the closest thing we'll have to a new 27" iMac since "it just works". Plug it in and you're good to go. If you go another monitor route, then you'll have to add speakers, a webcam, and deal with the weird resolution issues that other Mini users are posting about. And your sharpness will drop down from the 5K down to 4K. There really isn't another 5K monitor out there besides the LG one which is the same panel, less features, and barely cheaper.

Reactions: Wheel_D

thebart

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2023

Samsung now has a 5k thunderbolt display with a 4k web cam. Aluminum stand. Clearly aimed at the studio display

Edit: pricing not known yet but it's probably going to be cheaper

Last edited:

foo2

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Samsung now has a 5k thunderbolt display with a 4k web cam at nearly half the price. Aluminum stand. Clearly aimed at the studio display
Where do you see the price? My understanding is it's not even close to being available yet.

Reactions: Ice-Cube

foo2

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
I can't imagine why he thinks that competes with the XDR. It's clearly just competition for the plain 5k ASD.

Clickbait.

Jwinnin

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2022
Studio Display will give you the iMac experience obviously, I bought two and I love them. I use one for Zoom every day. Hard to beat the native experience (volume/brightness controls etc)

It's overpriced for sure, but unlike the iMac this is something you will be able to hang onto for a decade and subsequent Mac upgrades.

Just in case you decide on a non-apple monitor, this handy little app will allow you to control brightness using the standard apple keyboard buttons:

It works great for my dual-monitor setup.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Just in case you decide on a non-apple monitor, this handy little app will allow you to control brightness using the standard apple keyboard buttons:

It works great for my dual-monitor setup.
great find! thanks for that (works with my satechi keyboard and dell monitor) 👍

Reactions: Jwinnin

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
great find! thanks for that (works with my satechi keyboard and dell monitor) 👍
How do you like the Satechi keyboard vs the Magic Keyboard?

Does it support Touch ID?
Is it made from aluminum?
Does it have a backlight?
Do they make anything as good as the Magic TrackPad?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
How do you like the Satechi keyboard vs the Magic Keyboard?

Does it support Touch ID?
Is it made from aluminum?
Does it have a backlight?
Do they make anything as good as the Magic TrackPad?
only apple keyboards support touch ID... and you can check out the keyboards here

for me, these things matter: a backlight, a mac-centric layout. my satechi 'slim X1' has both.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
only apple keyboards support touch ID... and you can check out the keyboards here

for me, these things matter: a backlight, a mac-centric layout. my satechi 'slim X1' has both.
Gotcha, and the only thing that makes a difference is a backlight. I already have a Gen 1 (removable batteries) Magic Keyboard and TrackPad. I wish Apple designed their keyboards with a backlight, especially now that they can use a lightning cable.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Gotcha, and the only thing that makes a difference is a backlight. I already have a Gen 1 (removable batteries) Magic Keyboard and TrackPad. I wish Apple designed their keyboards with a backlight, especially now that they can use a lightning cable.
i've been waiting centuries (give or take) for apple to give us a macbook-like backlit keyboard, and don't understand why they haven't done that. i value the backlight on the satechi, and really, the mac layout of the keyboard makes it easy to go back & forth between my air and my mini: same basic layout, and... light 👍

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
i've been waiting centuries (give or take) for apple to give us a macbook-like backlit keyboard, and don't understand why they haven't done that. i value the backlight on the satechi, and really, the mac layout of the keyboard makes it easy to go back & forth between my air and my mini: same basic layout, and... light 👍
Yep. If one wants Touch ID - no backlight. Backlight - no Touch ID. So annoying. Come on Apple!

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Yep. If one wants Touch ID - no backlight. Backlight - no Touch ID. So annoying. Come on Apple!
i love touch id on my macbook, don't miss it on the mini (but to be fair, i live on the macbook, and only use the mini for logic pro and FCP). still, yes... tradeoffs 😔

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
i love touch id on my macbook, don't miss it on the mini (but to be fair, i live on the macbook, and only use the mini for logic pro and FCP). still, yes... tradeoffs 😔
I'm mostly on my Studio and miss it. But the tradeoff led me to give up and try mechanical keyboard so now I guess I'm off T-ID forever except on my laptops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.