Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WaxLily

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Hi guys, this might be a foolish question but I am wondering if there are any legitimate battery options for making the Mini portable? I don't have much understanding of battery tech, but simply I was wondering if there is a way to set up a Mini & monitor at a client meeting running on a battery supply? Battery life would only need to last ~2hrs. I work 99.999% on a desktop and just need a portable option once in a blue moon so I'm trying to avoid buying a MBP as I already own 2 desktops. Anyone knowledgeable? Dumb question? ;)

MC6800

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2016
The Mac Mini runs internally on 12V so it can be (and has been) done. But it's a fairly difficult and usually permanent mod-- in your case I think you'd be much better off just borrowing a laptop.

Reactions: WaxLily

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
There are a number of companies that make portable power supplies that you can plug anything into. Goal Zero has some cool stuff, for example. You need to figure out how many watts your mini, monitor and any other peripherals draw then choose a the capacity you need. So, just making up some numbers, if your monitor draws 50 watts and the mini also draws 50 watts, then a unit such as this with a 150 watt-hour capacity would run them for an hour and a half: http://www.goalzero.com/p/164/goal-zero-yeti-150-portable-power-station

But really, why don't you just find a cheap used laptop? Something like an old Core2Duo 15" MacBook Pro maybe? They should be able to run 2 to 3 hours with a good battery and will be a lot easier to haul around than a mini, keyboard, mouse, monitor, cables plus a big battery. ;)

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
What type of meeting rooms are you having client meetings in ?

There is no AC power ?

To me the simplest solution would be an iPad with a Lightning to HDMI adapter. But I'm really not sure of where you are meeting with clients.

I did have a meeting two years ago in an outdated meeting room (only VGA connections) but I plugged my thumb drive into their system and soldiered on.

WaxLily

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Thanks everyone for the help and ideas! Much appreciated :) But alas I ended up caving and just ordering a new macbook. It is on it's way being delivered today.
[doublepost=1497276853][/doublepost]Thanks Boyd01 for that link and info, very cool!
[doublepost=1497276945][/doublepost]MrWillie I think I'll try that with the iPad just to try, that's clever

Reactions: Boyd01

Johnchapin

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2008
Boulder
What type of meeting rooms are you having client meetings in ?

There is no AC power ?

To me the simplest solution would be an iPad with a Lightning to HDMI adapter. But I'm really not sure of where you are meeting with clients.

I did have a meeting two years ago in an outdated meeting room (only VGA connections) but I plugged my thumb drive into their system and soldiered on.
[doublepost=1541957037][/doublepost]Not thinking of meeting rooms, but many places have no AC power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.