Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

castroa320

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
Hi there. This is my first post on the MacRumors forums. So the problem is I got this Mac Mini from eBay a couple of days ago which I took the risk of upgrading the CPU from a 1.83 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo processor to a 2.0 GHZ T7200 Intel Core 2 Duo processor. I followed the online guides carefully and upgraded the CPU. During this time, I took the time to dust out everything with a compressed air can. I removed the RAM chips and everything. Now, I put it back together and I only get the white light indicating its on. But I have no chime, no Apple logo or anything. The screen stays black. With this problem, i've looked online for various solutions like resetting the PRAM and resetting the SMC and all that but still, no luck unfortunately. I've opened the machine reseated the RAM chips and even the CPU itself. Checked all the connections and everything is good. I did manage to break the Airport WiFi antenna... (stupid me the cable just broke off :oops:). I ordered a new one on eBay because that since I'll be using the WiFi on this machine a lot. But I don't think that would affect the boot up process or cause anything like this problem. I'm out of suggestions and need some advice on how to get this little machine back on track. Any help is appreciated!

-Thank you!!

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
did you upgrade the firmware first, before installing the newer processor?

EDIT:
I did the mod myself updated from core duo to core 2 duo.

castroa320

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
did you upgrade the firmware first, before installing the newer processor?

EDIT:
I did the mod myself updated from core duo to core 2 duo.
No i did not. I should also mention that i tried to put the old processor in but it won't even boot from that either.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
Make sure the the "card" which has the housing for the hard drive and optical drive is seated properly onto the mainboard

castroa320

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
Make sure the the "card" which has the housing for the hard drive and optical drive is seated properly onto the mainboard

If I understood you correctly, you mean the card in the back of the optical drive that go into the motherboard? If so, i checked that already. I also tried testing the RAM sticks one by one but they seemed to be ok. Machine still does the same. Turns on and only the light turns on and i hear the fan spinning and the hard drive as well if i'm not mistaking the fan and HD sounds. There is also no DVD grab. I tried to put in a DVD and won't even grab it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.