Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

red11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
Hi there,

Unfortunately I am not the most clued up when it comes to model specs, so hopefully you guys can help! I am currently eyeing up the mid or the top end Mac mini, but the only difference I am seeing is .2ghz in processing and the word 'fusion' being snuck in for the drive (both 1 tb). This seems a very small difference for a £230 price increase? Or is it?

Am I better off buying the mid range one and increasing the ram with some after market chips?

Your advice would be much appreciated! Thanks

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
"Fusion" is actually a big difference.

The mid-range model has a single 1 Tb spinning disk hard drive.

The top end model has a 1 Tb spinning disk hard drive PLUS a smaller solid state drive (SSD) which stores the OS and frequently-used applications. This greatly speeds up boot times, loading times, and overall operation of those applications. In this case, the spinning drive is used primarily for data storage.

bent00

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2012
You can no longer upgrade the ram as it is soldered to the motherboard in current mac minis. You must purchase the machine that already contains all of the ram you think you'll ever need. Definitely get one with a fusion drive. There's currently a i5/8Gb/1Tb fusion on the refurb store (but could be gone in 5 minutes). That's what I'd get. Or wait until you see a 16Gb (most ram you can get in a current mini) on the refurb store.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
As others have mentioned, you should buy the gpu, cpu and as much ram as you might need now, because these specs can not be upgraded later.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
"Fusion" is actually a big difference.

The mid-range model has a single 1 Tb spinning disk hard drive.

The top end model has a 1 Tb spinning disk hard drive PLUS a smaller solid state drive (SSD) which stores the OS and frequently-used applications. This greatly speeds up boot times, loading times, and overall operation of those applications. In this case, the spinning drive is used primarily for data storage.
The 1Tb Fusion is now down to 24GB SSD from previous 128GB.

I believe the 2Tb Fusion still retains the larger SSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.