Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeinJapan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
Tokyo
Hi guys,

I have a spare Mac mini and I thought I would put it in my living room and hook it up to my TV with hue lights have the lights synced to the content I am watching.

Most of our viewing is on Netflix and Prime. We are planning to get NowTV to watch a few things on there. I am having real trouble finding one media interface that can handle even Netflix and Prime at the moment - could anybody point me in the correct direction, please?

I was hoping to just use my Logitech remote to control the Mac mini (the mini has a few other hosting duties in the background too).

flygbuss

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2018
Stockholm, Sweden
Hi guys,

I have a spare Mac mini and I thought I would put it in my living room and hook it up to my TV with hue lights have the lights synced to the content I am watching.

Most of our viewing is on Netflix and Prime. We are planning to get NowTV to watch a few things on there. I am having real trouble finding one media interface that can handle even Netflix and Prime at the moment - could anybody point me in the correct direction, please?

I was hoping to just use my Logitech remote to control the Mac mini (the mini has a few other hosting duties in the background too).
I did the same with a cMP, running as Server (FTP, Cache, TM, VPN) as well. I just use Firefox with the 1080p extension for streaming (Netflix, HBO and Prime). I use the apple magic keyboard and mouse as a remote.
I don't stream stream 4k even though the TV is 4k and the desktop resolution is HiDPI.
Some might find it inconvenient to watch via browser but this way I don't have trouble with non-updated apps and stuff.
If you wanna stream in 4k browser streaming most likely won't suffice due to the macOS restrictions.

Reactions: MikeinJapan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.