Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appkingpin

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Hi,

I have a Mac Mini with 3.2GHz i7 chip, 32GB of RAM and 512GB SSD. I have it directly connected to a LG 4K Ultrafine. I notice it will flicker to a black screen for about 1 second randomly. Usually happens right after I start using the mini for a few minutes when powered on.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I also have the coil whine issue, but it seems to have improved compared to the first day I used the mini.

dimaspivak

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2018
Yep, been having this off and on with 2 separate Minis, 3 monitors, and a half-dozen types and makes of cable. If you're using a USB-C to DisplayPort, try a USB-C to HDMI cable; that solved the problem for me. Unfortunately, the HDMI-HDMI was still exhibiting the problem.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

appkingpin

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Yep, been having this off and on with 2 separate Minis, 3 monitors, and a half-dozen types and makes of cable. If you're using a USB-C to DisplayPort, try a USB-C to HDMI cable; that solved the problem for me. Unfortunately, the HDMI-HDMI was still exhibiting the problem.

Thanks for letting me know. Will try that, but looks like this is a wide-spread issue. Hopefully it can be resolved with a software update.

dimaspivak

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2018
Just got off the phone with the Apple Support Engineer I've been working with for a few weeks on reproducing this issue. He informed me that the engineers there are aware of this issue and that there will more likely than not be a software update to address it.

solidify

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2018
Just got off the phone with the Apple Support Engineer I've been working with for a few weeks on reproducing this issue. He informed me that the engineers there are aware of this issue and that there will more likely than not be a software update to address it.
Oh, that is good.

So let's say that the software fixes the issue, which will be the best way to connect a monitor (2560X1440)?

HDMI to HDMI?
USB-C to DisplayPort?
USB-C to HDMI?

I like the simplicity of HDMI to HDMI, but I am just curious if there is a difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.