Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dirtygreenroom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2017
Hi, I have an old Mac Mini Server (Mid 2010) that I haven't used in years and would like to upgrade from stock Snow Leopard to at least Lion for iTunes/iPhone backup limitation. I would like to use as workstation and convert mirror drives to two separate drives so I can install Windows XP on one drive and newer OSX on the other. How do I do this? Any major limitations?

This will not be used as main system, just back up to an iMac that's happily running Snow Leopard but cannot backup iPhone due to old vs of iTunes. I also plan to upgrade memory to 8/16.

Longer Lane

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2015
If you haven't used it in years, I guess you won't mind re-formatting the drives. The default setting for the mini Servers was two separate drives which could be combined into a mirrored RAID configuration.

Before you upgrade consider the following: The mid 2010 Mac mini will run Sierra. I found it useful to max out the RAM, but you can do that later. Also think about if you want to replace one or both HD's with SSDs, though this might be less relevant for you given what you are saying above.

I don't think 10.6.8 allows for internet recovery, so your best way is to create a bootable Sierra installer on a USB stick. Search the forums on how to do this. - On second thought though, you might have to gradually update. Not sure you can do so from Snow Leopard to Sierra directly.

Boot your mac from the USB stick, go into Disc Utility and then simply format each individual drive to your likings - the mirrored RAID is gone.

Just a note: RAID wasn't supported in 10.11, not sure about 10.10. So your best bet is to go to Sierra. There, you will find the old RAID functionality, where you can add new drives or also delete the RAID, ending up with two separate drives.

My $0.02

LL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.